What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADSB in Canada

h&jeuropa

Well Known Member
I live in Michigan but sometimes fly to Canada. I understand that we will be legal with UAT In and Out in the US after 2020. Does anyone know if US planes will be able to fly in Canadian airspace with just UAT In and OUt or will US planes have to have Mode S Squiter?

Thanks

Jim Butcher

Canada has no ADS-B mandate, so you don't need ADS-B in any format up there at all. They also have no Mode-S mandate, so Mode-C is fine. However, since you DO need ADS-B out in the USA by 2020, it's generally cheaper to buy a Mode-S transponder for ADS-B Out than it is to buy a UAT AND a Mode-C transponder.

From http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/publications/tp15048-menu-5859.htm

Transponder Requirements

The U.S. Government requires aircraft to be equipped with a Mode A and Mode C transponder to cross the U.S. border in either direction (inbound or outbound). If you do not have a transponder, you must contact the U.S. Transportation Security Agency (TSA) for a waiver.

Aircraft are to be equipped with a Mode C transponder when operating in Canadian Class A, B, C, D and E airspace, as specified in the DAH (TP 1820E), which is available from NAV CANADA (CAR 601.03).

Canada

''Canada has no ADS-B mandate, so you don't need ADS-B in any format up there at all. They also have no Mode-S mandate,''

-----------------
Yepp We know.....unfortunately.....:eek::rolleyes:

Bruno

Unfortunately? I can live without regs requiring *more* expensive hardware in my panel, thanks...

Back