What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A Upper Intersection Faring Instlallation

tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
I am curious if anyone has good pictures of the fit of their Fairings Etc. upper intersection fairings on the RV-7A that they can share. Some specific questions I have are

1) How do they fit out of the box? I seem to have a gap at the right outboard front.
2) Did they align well with the gear leg alignment? I'm confident my gear fairings are aligned well via the string, but the intersection fairing airfoil doesn't perfectly align with the gear leg fairing when it is pushed up into place on the "step" of the fuse. I'm worried that it may cause some twist in the gear leg by not being fully aligned. Bob mentioned that some builders don't even do the string method and instead just rely on the intersection fairings?
3) Did you use the single #4 screw / tab arrangement as the permanent solution to close the rear of the fairing, or did you replace it with something more robust?

Check alignment

Make some alignment marks on the gear leg fairing as you have it set with the string alignment method. Next loosen the gear leg fairing and install the intersection fairing where it fits nicely to the fuselage. Recheck the gear leg fairing alignment and see what the difference is.

I've set up a few planes with the Fairings etc intersections fairings and have found that the fit is pretty good. There is simply no way that every fairing will fit every application perfectly.

In a couple of cases I've had to lightly heat the fairing and ply it to a better fit. I will get it as close as possible and then use micro filler and epoxy to get it to final fit.

Back