What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Behind panel wiring suggestions...

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
My frugal panel consists of several of Van's round gauges. Most of them are lighted. When you consider that there are about 9 of these gauges all with lighting wires, it becomes a bit of a rats nest. I'm trying to figure out how to route and bundled the lighting wires.

Here's a picture:

NcWhdrS.jpg

Does anyone have pictures of how they handled the lighting wires for a panel that includes several Vans gauges?

Thanks,
Michael-

The wires for the lighting can be brought together and the wire size increased accordingly. A group of five into one, and then those two into one. Do the grounds the same way.

But when you wire the grounds for each gauge, do not run a ground from one to the other. Each connection (and those connections are not good) that the current passes through will add resistance and cause the gauge to read in error. It will be really noticeable in the fuel gauges. Run a separate ground for each gauge to a good ground source with the least amount of resistance. Meaning not the airframe..... and the least amount of connections to get to the neg. post.

PS. You might have problems with that compass mounted that close to two electric gauges.

Last edited:
This isn't exactly the same, but I think it will give you some ideas.

FinalAssembly038.jpg

This is a picture of the back of my dash on my Cobra. Same issue though, how to route all the lighting wires. I would not include any connectors like you see here, but rather run the wires to a lighting bus somewhere behind your panel.

Hope this helps.

Back