What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternatives to Van's Budget Gauges?

jsharkey

Well Known Member
I and others seem to have continuing problems with the Van's budget brand temperature, pressure and ammeter gauges - erratic readings etc.

Are there better if more expensive alternatives that can simply replace the Van's ones or is it really an installation problem that would affect any gauge?

My problems started with the ammeter from first flight but the oil pressure gauge is now playing up after 3 years.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6

If I recall correctly, Van's gauges are rebadged Isspro gauges, so you may not want those.

You should consider UMA. I spoke with them at Oshkosh and they seemed to have their "stuff" together, and when I had a problem with an obsolete Rochester sender on my Rochester gauges, I was able to trace it all the way back to UMA (which supplied a part to someone, which supplied it to someone else, who supplied it to Rochester). UMA's tech support personnel were extremely helpful in assisting me in getting a plug and play replacement.

I've got two Westach gauges in my airplane. Not particularly impressed with either one.

If I recall correctly, Van's gauges are rebadged Isspro gauges, so you may not want those.

You should consider UMA. I spoke with them at Oshkosh and they seemed to have their "stuff" together, and when I had a problem with an obsolete Rochester sender on my Rochester gauges, I was able to trace it all the way back to UMA (which supplied a part to someone, which supplied it to someone else, who supplied it to Rochester). UMA's tech support personnel were extremely helpful in assisting me in getting a plug and play replacement.

I've got two Westach gauges in my airplane. Not particularly impressed with either one.

Thanks for feedback. I have an UMA electrically driven tach and it is smooth and stable. Only problem is that the numbers in the engine time window are a bugger to read. In their wisdom they put a magnifying lens in front of them that makes them hard to read if not looking straight on and with good light.

My experience has been that the cheap gauges are all about the same regardless of who has their name on them. If you are not going glass I would suggest the EI line, more expensive but good stuff.

Look at it this way....

A new Vans oil pressure gauge and sender - $79.
A new Vans oil temperature gauge and sender - $49.
Total - $128

The EI oil/temp pressure gauge - $499.
The Ei wire harness and sender - $215.
Total - $714

The Ei system costs 5.5 times the Vans gauges. If it lasts 16.5 years without a problem, EI is a better deal. (assuming 3 yr life expectancy of Vans gauges)

Chances are many Vans gauges will last longer than 3 years. But even if the do not, they still are a good deal $ wise.

I'd change them out when they fail and press on. (also make sure they are properly hooked up - a poor wire connection or corrosion will screw up any system)

I would check into the Grand Rapids EIS4000. It doesn't take up too much panel space and will monitor just about everything you can monitor for approx $1,100.

Functions:

4 or 6 Exhaust Gas Temperatures*
4 or 6 Cylinder Head Temperatures*
Tachometer
Oil Temperature
Oil Pressure
6 Auxiliary Inputs user configurable can provide:
Manifold Pressure (normally aspirated or turbo)
Fuel Pressure
Fuel Level (using capacitive or float-type sending units)
Coolant Pressure
Ampmeter
Ignition Advance, second voltmeter, rotor rpm, etc.
Outside Air Temperature
Voltmeter
Carburetor Temperature
Hour meter
Flight Timer with Interval Timer

Features:

Comprehensive Leaning Functions ? The best available at any price.
EGT Tracking - Instantly reveals the source of roughness or other problems
Alarms on all functions, most with upper and lower limits
2 User-defined Combination Screens
2 Graphical EGT/CHT Screens with user-programmable digital data
User - selectable labels for auxiliary inputs
Label/Data Flip-Flop identifies all data on combination pages
Landing Checklist/Gear Reminder - Can be triggered by RPM or airspeed
User-Selectable Units (Fahrenheit/Celsius & Gallons/Liters)
Serial Output ? Allows data recording using a laptop PC, or interface to EFIS Graphical Engine Monitor.
Serial Input ? Provide for growth to interface with other system

Options that can be included in your EIS:
EGT Span - Max difference between highest and lowest EGT
EGT Max - Active only when above a specified RPM.
EGT Min - Active only when above a specified RPM.
EGT Cruise Mode Hi and Low Alarms - Alerts you to subtle changes in EGT after leaning
CHT Shock Cooling - Max cooling rate

Last edited:
I would check into the Grand Rapids EIS4000. It doesn't take up too much panel space and will monitor just about everything you can monitor for approx $1,100.

I've looked at that system several times. It can provide a lot of information, but the presentation is awful, IMO.

I've looked at that system several times. It can provide a lot of information, but the presentation is awful, IMO.

It takes a couple hours to get used to it. I had it with the 7 since '03 and will go with it again with the 8.

It's best feature is passive warning - once all your personal parameters are set you don't have to look at it unless the red light comes on. Of course you can look at it if you chose but the passive warning feature will keep one out of trouble if you don't.

The only Van's gauge that has really underperformed for me was MAP. Replaced it with a UMA and problem solved. Very happy with the UMA gauge.

Dan

A one time temp or pressure error could easily cost more than the $600 difference. It could cost everything. I am not saying the EI gauges are a better deal or Vans are more cost effective, that is for each to decide. On my build I have struggled between steam gauges to start and change to EFIS and EMS later or do it from the start. Im still not sure what I will do.

To me, I would rather spend the $1100 for a glass EMS than $600 more than Vans gauges for the EI's. Even if the EI's are everything their reputation says they are, they do not provide the amount if information even basic glass EMS's do. I would probably go with the cheap gauges until I had the cash for the EMS - and hope they worked well enough to save my engine. And I would do like David said, make sure they are wired up correctly.

A new Vans oil pressure gauge and sender - $79.
A new Vans oil temperature gauge and sender - $49.
Total - $128

The EI oil/temp pressure gauge - $499.
The Ei wire harness and sender - $215.
Total - $714

The Ei system costs 5.5 times the Vans gauges. If it lasts 16.5 years without a problem, EI is a better deal. (assuming 3 yr life expectancy of Vans gages)

Chances are many Vans gauges will last longer than 3 years. But even if the do not, they still are a good deal $ wise.

I'd change them out when they fail and press on. (also make sure they are properly hooked up - a poor wire connection or corrosion will screw up any system)

Back