What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

20 lb air conditioning

foka4

Well Known Member
New electric aircraft air conditioning system designed for LSA training market:

http://www.amt-aero.com/flycool.html

I've never been a big fan of air conditioning in piston aircraft, primarily because of the expense and weight. I don't know what this new system costs, but if it's half the weight of conventional systems, I guess it's twice as interesting. :)

M

The specs are a little spotty - it implies the possibility of 14V but does say 28V for battery. 45 amps is a lot of juice for 28V. So, I'm assuming it can run on a 14V alternator.
This would be ideal for RVs IF the cost isn't ridiculous.
John

Bass Aackwards

The specs are a little spotty - it implies the possibility of 14V but does say 28V for battery. 45 amps is a lot of juice for 28V. So, I'm assuming it can run on a 14V alternator.
This would be ideal for RVs IF the cost isn't ridiculous.
John

John,
You've got that backwards. 45 amps at 28 volts means 90 amps with a 14 volt system. Always figure out the load in watts. [Amps X Volts = Watts]
45 amps X 28 volts = 1260 watts

1260 watts divided by 14 volts = 90 amps

"Assuming" you could run this system at 14 volts , you'd need a 15 pound, 160 amp [assuming 60% of rated capacity for constant load] 14 volt alternator [Lester 13870] to run A/C and everything else. You would need either a serpentine drive belt system or dual Vee belts to run the beast. [Lycoming makes dual vee belt flywheels, which of course add more weight] Once you add the extra battery and related systems to isolate and charge that system, you would have a system which ate all of the 20 pound weight savings.[and then some]
To use this A/C you would really need to design your electrical system for 28 volts from the outset, or convert your 14 volt RV to 28 volts. Another option would be to convert to 28 volts and install a step down voltage regulator for those avionics which can not operate at 28 volts and are to expensive to swap out.
From a weight and hassle stand point, best to just go with a 28 volt system.
Charlie

Last edited:
Back