What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cessna LSA at AirVenture

Yawn... please, the cub? 90kt's...

besides, Cub Crafters is already doing that.

They just need to bring back the 140A (with an O-200 instead of the C-90)

done that

cobra said:
Dumb question... couldn't Cessna Piper just bring back an (updated) version of the Cub? ;)
Yea they did for a while in the 90's and it cost $120,000. Nice but still a Cub.

osxuser said:
Yawn... please, the cub? 90kt's...

besides, Cub Crafters is already doing that.

They just need to bring back the 140A (with an O-200 instead of the C-90)

Cub Crafters is ramping up production rates considerably to handle the demand for their airframes and have some new things up their sleeves for the future...

There seems to be incredible demand for all types of LSA designs. We are seeing similar interest in Canada. One flight school here has added a CT to their fleet and become a dealer for them as well. People are lining up to train in this because it is cooler than a 172, newer and performs better.

2 Answers

yes, I believe they both are "sorta plastic". Taking a chapter out of the Glasair book and doing plastic over a metal structure. [NEW NOTE ADDED: After further looking at the limited pictures, it may be that that LSA is all metal. There is one picture on aero-news that shows looking thru the interior. You can clearly see the metal structure and what looks like "metal skin".] - we'll prolly have to wait until later today to get an actual description from someone who is really there ... :)

Also, they *did* display they new "next generation" Single. The pictures "in the air" were the new airplane, the ones on the ground are the new LSA. Two announcements at once, with a promise for another press conference.

See www.aero-news.net for more details.

Last edited:
Is that second plane N9911D? Comes up a PA-18 in the FAA registry.

Looks like a non-steerable nosewheel.

It's not 9911D, it's 99110:

N99110 is Reserved

Reserved N-Number Type Reservation Fee Paid
Mode S Code 53354356
Reserved Date 05/23/2006
Renewal Date None
Purge Date 06/23/2007
Pending Number Change None
Date Change Authorized None
Reserving Party Name CESSNA AIRCRAFT COMPANY
Street PO BOX 7704
City WICHITA
State KANSAS
Zip Code 67277-7704
County SEDGWICK
Country UNITED STATES

The wing looks like it might be metal on the NGP, but the fuse sure looks composite. Check out AVweb for better pictures.

RV nosegear too

Dunno if it's just me or does the Cessna LSA have Van's nosegear assembly and pressure recovery wheelpants? The say "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!" :D

Actually Van's copied Cessna's wheelpants, they've been on the 182T since 2002ish. And lets hope the nosegear is beefier than Van's...

Looks like a little fast back C150

I love it. A fast back line a 50's Cessna. Love the fast back. I do like the rear view window but the fast back Cessna's always seemed to fly better to me.

Also the hip wing root, ala Steve Whittman's Tailwind. http://www.chlassociates.com/Aviation/images/n3992a.JPG
http://www.chlassociates.com/Aviation/images/n4jb.JPG
The tailwind is still one of the hottest little planes around, what +50 years after it came out. Faster than some RV's. RIP Steve.

The Cessna fuselage does look metal. The wing?

I like it. It looks like a plane, what else can you say, plane = good.

It also looks American. Sorry if my national pride comes through. Many of the LSA's have a "Euro look" fiberglass egg look (nothing wrong with fiberglass or eggs, ummm ummm over easy please).

Last edited:
gmcjetpilot said:
I love it. A fast back line a 50's Cessna. Love the fast back. I do like the rear view window but the fast back Cessna's always seemed to fly better to me.

I like it. It looks like a plane, what else can you say, plane = good.

It also looks American. Sorry if my national pride comes through. Many of the LSA's have a "Euro look" fiberglass egg look (nothing wrong with fiberglass or eggs, ummm ummm over easy please).
I agree... I think she's a beautiful bird... even if it is still a POC. If she were in my price-range, I'd be all over it. More room than a 152, and probably performance more like the Sparrowhawk. With sticks... fun, fun, fun!!

I think that the new Cessna looks great. I wish they had've used more composite as this is a relatively low risk venture for them. This gives other LSA's the legitimacy it was striving for. It also puts a huge name in the industry and could result in some smaller LSA dealers going out of business. I work with one of the LSA guys, Jabiru. We have the largest interior of any LSA out on the market with our J250. We are now starting to use the Van wheelpants and gear leg fairings on our planes.

Also some of the old folks and a few new ones got together and made a kitplane called the Arion Lightning. It flies similar to an RV-6, but a little less touchy on the roll rates. Take a look at www.arionaircraft.com . It can cruise at 180mph on 120hp and 5.5 gph fuel burn! Also working on getting a higher powered model with even more aero refinement for more speed.

Yes, it does look like a small Lancair. With hot performance, good looks, and a relatively cheap pricetag we're hoping it will do well. We were expecting to sale 12 the first year. Sold 12 in the first 3 months! Perhaps one day we'll also make a 4 seater.

Why composites

dash said:
I think that the new Cessna looks great. I wish they had've used more composite as this is a relatively low risk venture for them.
Oh gosh why? What would MORE composites do for you? I think composites would make it heavier and more expensive.

Composites are OK in the right place but there are trade offs. Metal structure is very light, strong and very crash worthy. Composite structure tends to be heavier when used for primary structure. Why? Well because of the variations in properties due to the manufacturing process, so engineers overkill the margins of safety, in part because the FAA makes them. Imperfections and sub-par properties are harder to see and inspect in composites.

Cost? Well the panacea of low cost composite construction has been the holy grail of manufactures. Instead of 1000's of parts with a metal plane (counting all the little rivets) you have one big molded part, which sounds good to bean counters. However in the real world, real high end composites, not hot tub / boat composites, is a very expensive and tedious deal. Lay ups, bagging, autoclaves and than sub assemblies bounded or bolted together, UGH, :eek: Than if there is an error you scrap the whole thing. Remember the Beech Starship, all composite corporate pusher. It was slower, carried less and cost more than a Beech King Air, which is still in production. The Starship has gone the way of the dodo bird.

Hey I don't want to be a target of haters out there. I have design and analysis experience since I worked with composites at Boeing years ago. We called it black aluminum. I know the theory of composites and appreciate the proper application. In a Lancair it's fine and well done, no doubt. In fact Lance Neibauer first Lancair O-200 was what got me excited about experimental aircraft. What is there not to love about sexy curves. However for a LIGHT SPORT PLANE aluminum is ideal. Look they have people with PhD's in aerospace structure that know what they are doing. For Cessna, with metal working skills makes engineering sense for them. Could they have made it out of composites? Sure they could but in my opinion it would have cost a little more and may be weighed more. A home built Lancair is labor intensive, not to mention the kit cost a bunch, also an indication of cost or materials and labor to produce them. They are just not going to push the technological envelope for a LSA. Now a F-117 stealth fighter or B2 stealth bomber, sure, but they cost billions. A Lancair, sure, but people are not going to pay top dollar for the most technological airframe to go 135 mph.

Not sure why composites would make you happy, but if Cessna made their LSA out of composite it would weight more and cost more. What goodness would you get. Some think composites last for ever? Really, well in engineering school we learned a thing called "entropy". Everything in the universe strives for more disorder and materials want to break down back into their basic elements. I would feel better flying a 60 year old metal plane that has been inspected for cracks and corrosion than a 60 year old composite plane. What are all those surface cracks in a composites surface? Now why do you need to keep them out of sun and heat? Micro surface cracks or something more serious? Delaminations? Inspection methods are more complex and require very special equipment and special operators to find damage and defects in composites. That means EXPENSIVE.

Last, if you are not going to build the WHOLE plane out of composites in ONE BIG layup you will have production joints. Trying to bolt composites together is troublesome. Unlike metal which is basiclly isotropic (material properties the same in all directions, which it's not but close), composites are very directional (Orthotropic ) properties. Composites have poor edge bearing strength. When you drill a hole in a material, say metal, put a bolt in it, the bearing strength in the base material is KEY in that shear joint. The point is bolting composites together or making "HARD POINTS" for landing gear, mounts, transitions to metal material structure, is a work around and inefficent. They do it by making composite overkill. They incorporate pad up areas (very thick), bushings and bearing plates, but in the end bolted joints due to edge bearing is kind of ugly in composites. If you could it would all be bonded. So again the holy grail is not to have any bolted joints but everything bounded together in one big composite structure. However to do that, you need to "CO-CURE" the whole plane in one huge autoclave (a big pressurized oven with vacume lines and probes). It is a big complex machine. To get a whole wing or fuselage much less a whole plane cured at one time is at the very high end of technology. I don't know Cessna's technology but guess they don't have huge autoclaves to cure a whole plane. Most of the new Bizz jets are made with metal, primary structure wise.

The exception is Raytheon Aircraft Primer entry level Bizz jet. I think they use a one piece carbon wound fuselage, way beyond what we do. ONE PIECE. One big part. They have made missiles like this for decades. The idea is to make it automated and not have people taking individual plies and put them on a form, which is labor intensive. The little LSA is not suited for carbon wound fuselage, but ideal for a round tube like a missile or even a small round fuselage of a bizz jet. Again the idea is to make it chaper and quicker not necessarily better from a performance stand point. Raytheon hopes they get their billions in development cost out of it by winding out lots of planes, because the start up is way more expensive. The LSA market is much smaller and profit margins not so great. Cessna use to sell C-152's at cost to get people into their product line.

RV's are metal and kick everything else in the kit plane world's behind. Check kit cost, performance and value. Also in 60 years a well built RV will be around. A Lancair with cracks coming out of the composites near the engine mount or gear will be prohibitively expensive to repair or replace. Just one man's opinion, based on my engineering and homebuilding background (and I have helped on a Lancair and Long-EZ). If you like sanding and dust, compoisites are the way to go. :D

Last edited:
dash said:
Yes, it does look like a small Lancair. With hot performance, good looks, and a relatively cheap pricetag we're hoping it will do well. We were expecting to sale 12 the first year. Sold 12 in the first 3 months! Perhaps one day we'll also make a 4 seater.

Yum, tastes just kike spam too.

There's room for composites AND metal in GA (long)

gmcjetpilot said:
Oh gosh why? What would MORE composites do for you? I think composites would make it heavier and more expensive.
Composites are OK in the right place but there are trade offs. Metal structure is very light, strong and very crash worthy. Composite structure tends to be heavier when used for primary structure.
Cost? Well the panacea of low cost composite construction has been the holy grail of manufactures. Instead of 1000's of parts with a metal plane (counting all the little rivets) you have one big molded part, which sounds good to bean counters. However in the real world, real high end composites, not hot tub / boat composites, is a very expensive and tedious deal.
However for a LIGHT SPORT PLANE aluminum is ideal. Look they have people with PhD's in aerospace structure that know what they are doing. For Cessna, with metal working skills makes engineering sense for them. Could they have made it out of composites? Sure they could but in my opinion it would have cost a little more and may be weighed more.
Last, if you are not going to build the WHOLE plane out of composites in ONE BIG layup you will have production joints. Trying to bolt composites together is troublesome.
I think you have very valid points about metal construction - it's well understood, works well, and is durable, so why mess with it? This, IMHO, is Cessna's answer to the composites question.

For the homebuilder, I agree - metal is great from the perspective of the tools and technology required. However, I think factory built GA aircraft, including LSA, can effectively use carbon / fiberglass / composites.

Cirrus and Diamond have proven that composite GA aircraft work in the short-term (5-8 years). We'll have to see if we get the same lifespans out of them that we're getting out of Cessna's (Happy 50th Birthday,172!). Acquisition and maintenance costs are not that different.

As for LSA, I think there is plenty of potential here for composites. The most radical design (that I know of) in terms of composite content is the CTSW. Its fuselage is a single piece carbon / aramid layup that is vacuum bagged and autoclaved (It's a traditional fabric layup, not wound). The wings are cantilevered with two spar pass-through. Gear is aluminum.

The benefit is very light weight. Empty weights are 670 to 700 lb, depending on whether you have a BRS installed (it's now standard in the US). MGTW is 1,320 lb - nearly twice its empty weight. The aircraft is rated to 7.2g in the 1,320lb / 600kg configuration. Price is comparible to other euro-built LSA.

The big question mark with this aircraft will be durability. They have had some landing gear failures, but this has been in the aluminum tube, not the gear-to-fuse connection. Still, time will tell. Will people get 20 year lifespans with their LSA? Will people get 15 years out of their Cirri? (Cirruses?) Would you be happy with 20 years out of your new 182?

So, with respect to GA, I think that that composites are not the way to go - rather, they are one possible way to go. Like any technology, it will carry with it unique risks.

I don't think composites make sense at all for Cessna's LSA - they have lots of experience in making metal airplanes and almost none (that I'm aware of) in making composite aircraft. Why abandon what you're good at? There are lots of other all-metal LSA (e.g., RV-12, 601XL, Evektor) that are doing well also, so metal obviously works.

As for airliners, composites will likely be a big part of the equation due to the weight and need for efficiency. Biz jets? Time will tell, I guess.

I like the idea of composites in LSA and GA airplanes - it is a way of pushing the envelope, although in a evolutionary way, rather than revolutionary. Just like Airbus has forced Boeing to become better, the plastic planes of Cirrus and Diamond have forced Cessna to start improving as well. Competition and variety are good.

Sorry for the long post.

All composites are not created equal. The cheap materials are weak and tend to be heavy.

I personally doubt that a fiberglass aircraft will ever be lighter than an aluminum one of similar size and strength. The biggest advantage of fiberglass over aluminum construction involves the ease of forming numbers of complex curved shapes, with reusable part molds, in a factory setting- that it does very well, and probably adds some aerodynamic advantages in the process. I believe composite construction is preferable over metal for a big producer like Cessna, once the tooling is completed. The downside involves repair for the users, particularly when impacts are involved- the glass layers separate and fray.

FWIW, I doubt homebuilt glass construction methods can control resin content close enough to maximize strength and minimize weight, and the "strong" epoxy resins are not garage friendly (require curing ovens and/or autoclaves, generate solvent fumes, etc).

Carbon fiber IS lighter and stronger per unit weight than aluminum, and much more expensive.

the_other_dougreeves said:
...The most radical design (that I know of) in terms of composite content is the CTSW. Its fuselage is a single piece carbon / aramid layup that is vacuum bagged and autoclaved (It's a traditional fabric layup, not wound). The wings are cantilevered with two spar pass-through. Gear is aluminum.

Check out the Sparrowhawk, high performance sailplane. 36 foot span and 155 pounds.

http://www.compositesworld.com/hpc/issues/2004/July/511/1

I said that I wish that it had've been more composite. As has been stated due to the shapes that can be had and the aerodynamic efficiency of composites. I agree that it wouldn't make sense for Cessna to do so because of their current tooling and abilities. It doesn't stop me from dreaming though.

We make an aircraft that looks similar to the Cessna LSA and one that is larger. The one that is similar in size weighs 638 lbs empty. We have a useful load of 700lbs which rivals most 4 seat GA aircraft and have a 9.5 hour unrefueled endurance with 30 minute reserves! We use a glass fiber layup. We are using it even more extensively than the CT. Even our gear are made of composites. The main source of metal in our planes is the wing attach points and the wing strut. We're not experiencing any gear troubles.

I have done a lot of research on this topic and you're right, on average the composite S-LSA's are heavier than the aluminum counterparts. It wasn't signifigantly though. 0.57% difference between the two. I like composites and think it's where things are going. Also, the carbon fiber planes are more expensive, but when talking about something as small as an LSA we're talking like $3k or so.

As for what's smart. I'd have to say a good mixed composite/metal frame is best for LSA. These represent the lightest group as far as empty weight and gives you the curves for things like cowlings and wingtips or winglets and easing the minds of folks who don't trust composites in the load bearing structures.

Dooh!

n5lp said:
Check out the Sparrowhawk, high performance sailplane. 36 foot span and 155 pounds.
Sheesh! How did I totally forget sailplanes in this discussion?

Yes, all modern sailplanes are fiberglass, aramid (kevlar) and/or carbon fiber. While composites also give lower weights, they allow for the creation of complex surfaces that are hard to achieve with metal, yielding less drag. The surface is also normally smoother, resulting in still less drag.

gmcjetpilot said:

Speaking of American designs and keeping our people employed, I just returned from the Titan Aircraft factory in Ohio and they are busy developing their LSA and EXP design which should be ready sometime before the end of this year.

I visited the factory and had a chance to sit in the prototype in progress. The construction technique is different than Van?s or the glass designs. It uses a welded chromolly fuselage covered with aluminum skins which is the same technique used in the Tornado and their P-51 Mustang replica.

It will be a side by side wide cabin using the comfortable reclined seats found in the Tornado. The trike or tri-gear design will be configurable on the field by moving the gear legs from fwd to aft sockets on the fly.

The designer borrows the fin, rudder, stabilator, and the successful 26 foot high lift wing from the Tornado (+6 -3 G) mounted on top to deliver a strut-less high wing design with barn door flaps and ailerons. The baggage area goes all the way to the tailcone allowing sleeping room for one or two if you know each other well.

For those that choose to build one, it will be a fast build since the stabilator and rudder are made at the factory and covered in aluminum. The wing can be built in about 100 hours and is available as a quick build. The flaps and ailerons are built at the factory too and they only need to be attached to the wing. The builder will be required to drill the skins to the fuselage, rivet them in place and finish the panel, interior and engine installation. The only glass to finish will be the cowl. The design will allow for different engine mounts to accommodate the Rotax, Jabiru, and smaller Lycoming engines possible as high as the O-320 to satisfy all pilots and target flight schools.

How well it flies remains to be seen. If it does well it will be an attractive alternative to those seeking to build and fly airplane in what could be as low as 300 hours with the QB wing option (the aluminum on steel frame design goues up quickly).

It is very exciting to see all the Kit makers putting forward their designs and choices will be plenty. I will make my decision to get the RV12 or some other airplane next year to replace the unfinihsed RV7 kit I sold a few months ago. The Titan looks very attractive but like the S19 and the RV12 it ain?t flying yet! It is nice to see American designers and factories meeting the euro designs face to face.

Jose Borja
Elk Mound, WI

Back