What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trouble with a formation take-off. Need advice

SHIPCHIEF

Well Known Member
I came to this Formation Flying thread after a recent 'upgrade' in flying activity.
My eldest son Peter decided to try aerobatics for his birthday, so he took some lessons in a Citabria.
About this time, progress on my RV-8 took a decided slow down, as I couldn't pass up a great deal on a T-18. Peter was very enthusiastic about his experience, and was actively searching for a Citabria. I suggested that he might have more fun in an RV-4 for the same price range, and about this time, I got the T-18 flying. I'm pretty sure he had decided an RV-4 was in his future when I had gained enough confidence in myself & the T-18 to take him for a ride.
The rest is history, as they say.
So Marilyn my wife is having some difficulty nailing the landings in the T-18. Peter gives her the front seat of his RV-4, and the better spring rate on the main gear works it's magic. Then she informs us that Peter should take me back to S36 to get the T-18. (we're at WN-55) So off we go.
Now the meat & potatoes; we don't have much daylight left, so to be on the safe side we need to keep things moving forward. He gasses up and I preflight. when ready, I taxi out and meet him at the run up area. When the local training flight lands and clears the runway, we announce departure, flight of 2 and take the runway. I'm in #2 behind on the left due to the narrow runway. I have 1 notch of flaps down. Very slight crosswind from the right.
You formation guys know what happens next, don't you?
So we signal 'ready' and Peter advances the throttle. I wait a few seconds to let him get ahead a 'safe distance' and power up...I'm thinking I'll still be on the ground beyond his lift off point.
The T-18 lifts off wonderfully, maybe even a bit better than it should. I get 15 or 50 ft up, and hit his left wing tip vortex (I presume) with a very strong roll to the right, full stick deflection and still turning. So I ride this out, not happy, but feel I should be out of it to the right. Well that happens and I fly into the right wing vortex with a similar quick roll to the left. Now my lift component has not been straight up, so Peter is climbing away as you would expect, but I'm no longer gaining altitude, I fly out the bottom of the vortex directly under him and dropping behind. Everthing is fine now.
Needless to say, I was somewhat excited, and started thinking about the view the student pilot and instructor got while heading back on the taxiway. :(
So I came to this thread an followed the link to FFI's formation tutorial. This gives Section Take off, side by side, and in trail if the airfield is narrow. Aside form that, not much information on vortex, prop wash, etc.
Can someone shed a little light on appropriate 2 ship departures, enoute, and arrival proceedures for beginners?

Last edited:
If there is a crosswind, the lead should take the downwind side of the runway, so that the wing tip vortices, or "wake", will drift away.

If you are doing an interval takeoff, #2 should wait until the lead is JUST lifting off, normally about 7 seconds..

Lead should climb normally, leaving the wingman the opportunity to climb below or above, and slightly upwind from the lead.

Having said that, there is LOT'S more to formation flying than can be discussed on a forum. If you want to get serious about formation flying, [and BTW, the only way to approach formation flying is to be SERIOUSLY PROFESSIONAL about it,] then I would suggest getting together with the nearest formation group, and get them to show you the way.

You can't learn formation flying safely from reading a book.

Another link that should be there but isn't: www.flyfast.org

@Scott, it sounds like you need a formation clinic. It's not recommended to start formation flying without one. Dealing with the prop wash is covered in the training manuals, but off the top of my head I couldn't tell you exactly which one. As Doug suggests... Read them all.

Formation Flying

What Pete and Rob said.....get with someone with formation experience or attend a formation clinic BEFORE participating in formation flight.

The reason not much is written about flying in prop wash, wingtip vortex is that we don't do it, we stay out of it, we PLAN AHEAD. And if we get into it, we use airmanship to get out of it.

Everything about your post, Scott, screams an accicent waiting to happen, and we wonder why FAA/NTSB are looking at Experimental Aviation for how to reduce the mishap rate. Before participating in formation flight it is required (by FAA FARs) to conduct a thorough formation briefing. You opted to rush before dark to do something you had not done before or had any instruction in doing. And using the 1/4 flaps you discussed, it should be obvious you would be airborne before your son's liftoff point.

You said after the event you were wondering what the pilots taxiiing back where thinking. You should have been asking yourself why you just did what you did.

Then you said "Can someone shed a little light on appropriate 2 ship departures, enoute, and arrival proceedures for beginners?" There is not enough room in this forum to do that. As I previously said, get with someone with formation experience to get instruction (there are many in Seattle area) , or better yet attend a formation clinic. There will be one conducted on the West Coast at Madera in late April. Stay tuned here for a post on how to sign up.

I am sorry to sound so critical, but I am very concerned about conducting a discipline like formation flying the right way, getting the instruction beforehand, briefing, not rushing into something without forethought.

Where are you based? Perhaps someone with FFI experience is nearby who can give you some advice before a clinic.

Stu;
I'm sure your a nice guy and well intentioned, but I have to feel you didn't read my post very thoroughly, are speaking to a wider audience or trying to polish your apple.
We were not trying to fly formation, we were conducting a 2 ship departure & ferry flight.
After an unanticipated but eventually uneventful take off, I did evaluate the event, and came to this thread for some help.
Some planning had taken place, the RV-4 being at the front, due to 3 advantages: Power, weight and wing area. Plus I'm generally cautious by nature and wanted to keep eveything in sight.
So we had a plan, (which didn't hurt anything, but didn't turn out the way we wanted in one phase)
We evaluated the result.
I came here for some help.
I'm not really sure I'm interested in full on formation flight, and that's not the root of my question. I'm appealing for help in a much more commonly practiced 2 ship flight activity. Things that enhance safety and utility when delivering a ship to another airport for maintenance, joining friends to fly out to lunch etc.
If this works well, we may wish to advance to formation work, but now I'm wanting to avoid the pitfalls in a much smaller endeavor.
Also, this does not have anything to do with experimental aircraft; being a flight activity, it happens in all manner of GA, Commercial & Miltary aircraft. It might as well have been Cessnas.
Pete & Rob were very helpful, Stu, yours added some detail, but you might re-read what you write before you post, lest people hesitate to ask.

Last edited:
Highlighting your misunderstanding of the concept:
SHIPCHIEF said:
We were not trying to fly formation, we were conducting a 2 ship departure & ferry flight.
A two-ship departure *is* a formation flight, when you're taking the runway together and departing as a "plus one".

Don't take this the wrong way... I encourage anyone with the interest to get some formation training and give it a go. It's an amazing amount of fun, and it will make you a more proficient pilot. But it's not something to throw together on an ad-hoc basis with two unexperienced (formation-wise) pilots.

Contact John Brick

Scott, please get in touch with John Brick down there at Chapter 336 (PLU), he's a great stick local resource for formation flying.

Scott,
Please don?t try formation flying without someone that knows what is going on or proper training. I read your post, the responses and your response to Stu. You are asking for help with ?formation take-off? (per your post title). If you are close enough that the aerodynamic of one airplane is affecting your airplane?s flight performance then you are close enough.

A safer approach would be taking off abeam each other. Like this at time 1:00 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwPAvnHcGeo

In a narrow runway like yours a safer approach would be to take off in singles. First plane take off, the second plane does not start to roll until the first airplane is airborne. Once the second plane is airborne then you can offset to the upwind side or climb above the first plane?s flight path. That will keep you outside of the wake.

BTW, you may want to check Stu?s back ground. Most of us are trying to keep you and the people around you safe with our advice.

The general attitude many of us have is if you are sharing a runway or sharing a flight, you are in formation and should get "appropriate" training. It is a building block approach.
John is a great guy and has a world of experience, including formation flying, prior to joining our group. However, when he started with us (FFI West Coast Ravens) he started at the bottom, or more appropriately with the basics first, then took the next appropriate steps. He went quickly forward, got his Wingman Card at a clinic, and even took part in the 40 ship at Osh 2012. John is a great resource, a good stick, and I trust him like he does me regardless of who's wing we are on.

FFI is Stu's blood and sweat and hundreds of us are flying safely through his program. He isn't polishing his apple. He firmly believes in the program. I do also and I can go anywhere in the country and fly with other FFI program pilots even if I have never met or flown with them. I know exactly what to expect.

The best part of all of this is you where not afraid to share your experience and ask the questions. You identified something was not good and took action. Those are the qualities that make good formation pilots! Now you have some resources to help, which I believe is what you where asking for.

Scott,

Here is some quantifiable information regarding your question...

For take off and for pilots with out formal training, use at least 10 second spacing between aircraft putting the throttle up. You need to have enough room so that if the airplane in front of you decides not to (or cant) take off, you can continue or abort and not hit him.

If you are trying to take off, fly en route, or land within 50 feet of another airplane without some training, I think you will ultimately end up bending some metal.

As for en route, don't get closer than 50 feet and NEVER lose sight of your wingman, especially by going belly up to him. Climb or descend to avoid other aircraft.

For arrival, just split up before landing. Give a minimum of 30 seconds between airplanes and make the decision to go around early if you have the smallest doubt about occupying the same space at the same time.

As for avoiding wing tip vorticies, you need to be 20 feet below the other airplane if you are switching sides. And dont fly directly behind another airplane since it is very difficult to judge closure.

If you are going to be closer than 50 feet to another airplane or fly in "formation" with more than one other plane, I'd recommend some training with someone who can help prevent/fix mistakes before any paint gets scratched.

Be at least as conservative as what I've laid out here and you will be able to safely fly within 500 feet of another aircraft.

Last edited:
Scott,

A safer approach would be taking off abeam each other. Like this at time 1:00 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwPAvnHcGeo

In a narrow runway like yours a safer approach would be to take off in singles. First plane take off, the second plane does not start to roll until the first airplane is airborne. Once the second plane is airborne then you can offset to the upwind side or climb above the first plane?s flight path. That will keep you outside of the wake.

The take off at 1:00 is more challenging than an interval takeoff. I would not recommend that to anyone without formal training. Interval, as you mentioned, is always the way to go if you lack formal training.

Thanks you guys, and thank you Chris for some detail that I can use as a guide while I get more complete training.
I attended our EAA chapter meeting tonight, and had a chat with John Brick, as reccomended.
John is not real favorable to including non-RV aircraft, but he is a welcoming and enthusiastic teacher. It looks like we will work toward a back seat ride and maybe borrow Peter's RV-4, or include him too. Right now we have 3 pilots in the family that feel ready to work on safe flight in proximity to other aircraft.

Maybe you can tell us which forum it was moved to.

Original post was in EDUCATION\Formation\Links to required reading if you want to do formation:
That is a STICKY that Admin placed in the formation area for other peoples reference.

The post under that thread was moved to EDUCATION\Formation\Trouble with a formation take-off. Need advice
This makes it a stand alone thread.

IMHO, the Sticky is for reference only and the only way it should be added to is if there are new links to add to the existing reference data.

BTW: The link to SoCAL is no longer valid. It should be changed to:
http://www.westcoastravens.com and or http://www.rvformation.com

Back