What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing mount video

AX-O

Well Known Member
I have been testing some configurations for my wing mount Drift HD. I was able to record looking forward with no vibration issues however, when the camera faced backwards, the image was not stable. Here is a one minute video of a flight from yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgXb1MQJoy8

Axel,
I also have a Drift and have been thinking about a wing mount. Do you have any pictures of your mount I could take a look at?
Thanks!

Kent

I'm curious of your wing mount as well.

Also, have you found the vibration issues is RPM centric ? I notice in my attempts that I get the jelly roll effect when I am throttled back entering the pattern.

For others: my mount is the same as what Stephen shows in this thread.

Wigly tail video

I just shot my first video on the drift from a tail mount and it is completely un-usable

It looks like the fuselage wiggles back and forth. I think unless the mount is rock solid and the part of the plane it attaches to is not moving (like the vstab) the rolling shutter will have issues.

Here are a few pictures. I don't have any pictures mounted on the plane yet. I glued a piece of 2,000 grid sand paper to the inside of the angle so the camera had a good surface to grab onto. The black material on top of the angle is left over wet suit material. Also, a piece that you don't see is a round spacer. The small spacer goes inside the wing mount hole. The bolt goes through the spacer. That way when I torque the bolt down, the wing skin does not see much force. It is transferred via the spacer to the tie down point. When the camera faces forward, i did not have issues. But when it is facing backwards, the only way to get a steady picture is by making the camera and the bracket touch.

IMG_0853.JPG

IMG_0855.JPG

IMG_0857.JPG

IMG_0858.JPG

Back