What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tires & Goatheads

Are the tires that come with a van's kit thick enough to prevent punctures from goathead stickers when operating off of a grass strip ?

Mike Stephenson

Goathead Sticker

OK I'll bite, what the heck's a "Goathead Sticker". I've landed all over the Northeast on grass strips and never saw or heard of one.
I think I'll Google it now!
NYTOM
WOW! just got back from Google. Are we lucky we don't have that problem here.
Bullheads, Puncturevines, Mexican & Texas Sandburs or what ever you call it. There's articles about destroying car tires, going through sneakers etc.
I can see your concern very clear now. Wish I could help.
NYTOM
6A

Last edited:
photoadjuster said:
Are the tires that come with a van's kit thick enough to prevent punctures from goathead stickers when operating off of a grass strip ?

Mike Stephenson

Short answer, no. We use the same tires on our AirCam (and a Maule tailwheel). I have opened the hangar and found all three tires flat.

I have even seen flats on a T-6 tailwheel that operates off our runway.

I'm too chicken to land the RV-8 on the grass when the goatheads are there.

James Freeman

NY Tom if you want some Goatheads, I can arrange a whole bucket full. :D
They are no fun. I grew up in New Mexico. I think I have picked them out of tires, basketballs, baseballs, tennis balls, hands, knees, cats and dogs. They manage to punch a hole in everything they touch.

I wonder if you could put some of that green slime stuff in your tires to head off problems. I think they sell it at Home Depot for tractor tires and stuff. It basically sloshes around in there until there is a small puncture, then it seals it.

http://www.slimesealant.com/

???

Last edited:
green stuff

Matt's got it. I've always got that green goo (I don't recall what exactly it's called) in all three tires of my Luscombe. No flats since.

It's called SLIME. It works really well. I have it in my mower tires. I was having flats every time I mowed (new house and yard) and I haven't had one since I put it in. I think it has a speed limitation so you might want to check that out before you fill em up.

Killer Goatheads

Thanks Terry & Alex for the bucket offer and photo. I used to be jealous of you guys down south for the warm weather and nice flying conditions but my God, you have to worry about Killer snakes crawling up into your parked planes, killer spiders making nests, killer bee's attacking, fire ants and now goat heads. The usual problems that occur up here in the Northeast are an occasional splat of bird poop on your paint or a birds nest if you don't plug up your holes. Oh yea, and maybe two or three feet of snow once in a while. But other that its pretty tame.
NYTOM
From beautiful (goathead free) Upstate New York
That's way upstate in the woods, far, far from that big city with the same name.

In New Mexico we also have these lovely creatures. These are known as Vingarone's. They will make you hurt yourself getting away. I have never heard anybody getting hurt any other way. They get as large as your hand.
Tom, if you want any of these let me know. I could FedEx a few to you. :D
4676mastigoproctus_lr.jpg

Last edited:
another flat tire

Flew to Cavanaugh Bay, Idaho to check it out. Landed at the grass strip. No lodging(and no sleeping bag), so flew to Sandpoint. Next morning, nosewheel was flat--pulled a hefty thorn(not a goathead) from the tire, borrowed the bicycle from the FBO and picked up a bottle of Slime and a foot pump at the auto parts store. Worked like a charm. But, now I can detect a slight shimmy. Planning to replace the tube, but will keep Slime and the footpump in the forward baggage for the next flat tire.

Caltrop

Alex Caldwell said:
Here's what they look like. They are sort of tetrahedon shaped, so no matter how they land, there is a spike sticking straight upwards to go through your shoe or your tire. The one on the right still looks kind of green, but when fully mature they are very hard and woody. Maybe they could be used in Iraq to combat the insurgency?

goatheadseed.jpg

In Medievil times they made a metal device called a "Caltrop", had one point always up, to stop horses and foot soldiers, now the term is used for these type of stickers in general.

Strange what trivia resides in the dark corners of a persons brain.

Mike

Or the AZ spikey stuff, and reptiles...

This can also do in tires....

"Jumping" Cholla cactus - sharp, and with nasty barbs on the ends. The spines are 1 to 2 inches long, and the plants can shed small "chunks"... these are attracted to folks wandering by, and always seem to get you... hence the term "jumping".... :)

77847876_ba2cba2a66.jpg

Though I missed the best photo when my camera wasn't handy....

One day, on opening our garage door, my Lycoming O-320-E2G was sitting up front, wrapped in plastic and guarded by two curled up rattlesnakes on top of the engine....

Would have made a great photo..... :cool:

Gil in Tucson ... and guess where our airpark got it's name from... :)

And for Alex C. from his Mojave days...
Duster A3
Mini-Nimbus ACE

Last edited:
Holly #*^%@

Well Terry , I "Was" hoping to retire to New Mexico some day.
Can you teach those things to fetch newspapers?
Tom

cytoxin said:
looks like something i could eat fried and wrapped with green chillis. :eek:
Anything wrapped in a green Chile is good. :D

Tom, yes they will fetch the newspaper and the paper boy and any small pets in the area. They get real hungry. I used to live in New Mex. My family is still there, so I am there often. It's a real great place. "IFR" not recommended. The WX is too nice. ;)

Gill, my wife and I were in La Cholla this spring looking at the house either next to Allen Day or maybe a couple houses down when I shot a picture of a 4 foot long rattle snake. That 4 foot slinky guy is lives in your hood. :D

TerryPancake said:
Anything wrapped in a green Chile is good. :D

Gill, my wife and I were in La Cholla this spring looking at the house either next to Allen Day or maybe a couple houses down when I shot a picture of a 4 foot long rattle snake. That 4 foot slinky guy is lives in your hood. :D

Terry... I hope it wasn't the one next to Alan Day's... that's our house, and it's not for sale!!!

Yes... a few of those rattlesnakes in the area... we all walk looking downwards.... :)

A few weeks ago I saw one on the runway out of the corner of my eye while I was taking off..... I guess I could roll over it with no real problems....

The airport manager does a good job of snake removal for the residents, and one owner likes them since they eat the pack rats.....

A local king snake is desirable since they are not poisonous and also eat rodents..... they worry some visitors though.....

arizona.mtn.king.snake1.jpg

I prefer our approach to rat control....

http://home.earthlink.net/~gilalex/Bobcat/cub-under-bench-jun-03.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~gilalex/Bobcat/roberta-close-up-jun-03.jpg

Just keep your small pets inside... :)

gil in Tucson - with the snakes....

Can it get any worse ?

This thread is getting downright scary. I don't know if I'll ever come down that way now. Hey we got some really mean ladybugs up here. You should see them. Some of them get get to be a quarter inch long.
Tom

Yes, but does the FAA pay for cat food?

az_gila said:
Aww, wat a cute widdle kitty ... YEOW! ;)

This reminds me of the feral cats at PGE Park (baseball / futball stadium) in Portland. The city has discovered that a little cat food goes a long way towards keeping the rats down.

Back