What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

John Marshall

DRBuilder

Well Known Member
The Midwest RV community has lost a good friend. John Marshall from Acton, IN (an Indianapolis suburb) passed away this morning from natural causes. John completed several RV's as well as helped countless others with their builds, including myself. His knowledge and generosity were unsurpassed. He made himself available for me whenever I called. No matter how trivial my questions were as a 1st time builder, John took the time to explain in great detail every subject I presented, and did so with tremendous enthusiasm. I will treasure the many times I spent with him at Oshkosh and am honored to be able to call him a personal friend.

God speed John.

John also hosted a great corn roast every year at the Shelbyville airport. John also put together parts that turned standard RV-8s into Super 8s. Super nice guy. My condolences to his family and close friends.

John also hosted a great corn roast every year at the Shelbyville airport. John also put together parts that turned standard RV-8s into Super 8s. Super nice guy. My condolences to his family and close friends.

John turned my 7 kit into a Super 7 as well. He fabricated the IO 540 engine mount for me.

A friend of mine called me this morning to tell me the news. A couple of years ago when he started having health issues he offered to let me fly the Dragon (super-8 with the dragon airbrushed on the side.) Man I liked flying that airplane. I used to drop in once in a while until he plowed his strip under last year. John was an all-around good guy and will be missed.

I'm stunned, John just did my annual in November and was fine. The next day he left on a motorcycle trip to the east coast. He was on RV #19 BTW. He will be greatly missed....

Memorial

All, there will be a memorial service for John on Sat 29th at 11:00 AM at the Shelbyville airport (GEZ).

John built some real neat airplanes and had some great thoughts that were not just dreamed about, but were executed for all to see.

May Heavenly Father Bless John and his family.

I live local to John's shop and am lucky enough to be flying a Super 8 that he helped build. I'm a military pilot and would always buzz his strip in either my plane, or a Blackhawk helicopter en-route back to the home base, when I had a chance. I stopped by his shop many times to see what he was up to and I always learned something new watching him build, or mentoring other builders.
He was an awesome guy and his passing hit me really hard. I, like many others will sorely miss him. God's speed John. Blue skies and tailwinds.

Larry Anderson

Last edited:
There will be a 'PITCH-IN DINNER' "Celebration of Life" at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, December 29th, at Larry Boggs' hangar located at the Shelbyville Airport located at 3529 N. 100 West, Shelbyville, Indiana.

Ham and Chicken will be provided. Please bring a covered dish and your own drinks. Please contact Ruthanne Williamson @ 317 535-4565 to co-ordinate covered dishes.

Ice, plates, napkins, cups, and silverware will be provided also.

In lieu of flowers, we will be offering a container for cards and contributions, to help Jan cover the final expenses.

John was my best friend. I learned a lot about life from John. John was a no nonsense guy and was gracious in putting up with all my tomfoolery. There is no way to replace John Marshall, and that is not a bad thing. We are all better for knowing John and his memories will often make us smile.

John will be sorely missed. He helped me no matter how minor my questions were. Not a week before he passed we had lunch together. He was always a very gracious person. My airplane at that time was almost finished. I told him when the DAR was coming and he said when I get ready to fly the first time, call and he would come and give me pointers to that first flight. Now his medical is forever fixed. My heart is sad of his passing, not for my sake only but for his family and his many friends as well.
sincerely,
Dave

John, when I needed help on my first RV project in 2001 you stepped right up and helped me finish my wings and turn the tables on my project. Taking my wings down to your shop was a life changeling event for me. You were a mentor to me and I learned so much from you and had a great time meeting new people and make new life long friends. If we weren't learning about building RV's we were laughing or having a Coke and watching the sun set over the corn. When I started my RV-10 project you found me a core engine to rebuild for a great price. But most of all I will cherish time time we got to spend together this year working on the -3! John thank you for inspiring me to do great things! John, thank you for giving me the chance to fly your Super RV-8 "Green Dragon" solo! Thank you for helping so many people with there RV projects over the years. Rest in peace my friend.

For several years John used to have a small flyin over Memorial day where a few of us would get together on his strip, eat, visit and see what was going on in his shop. Afterward John would get on his scoot with a handheld and coordinate our missing man formation we'd do over the Acton cemetery. It was always enjoyable to do and I will forever cherish those memories. I first met John back in 1993 and it just seems like time has flown by. I always enjoyed being around John.

Back