What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wings Program

Bryan Wood

Well Known Member
I was invited to attend an FAA Wings seminar tomorrow night and was wondering if anybody has attended any of these. I have several questions...

1. Are there actual insurance breaks given at renewel because of this?

2. If the above answer is yes, how much?

3. Have any of you used this program instead of getting bi-annual flight reviews?

4. If you had to drive to one of these meetings would you still go?

5. Do you think you are learning anything at these?

Thanks,

http://www.faasafety.gov/about/wings.aspx

I think the big motivation for some folks is that completion of a Wings Phase is considered a substitute for a BFR. Thing is, you still have to log something like 3 hours of instruction anyway.

My 2 cents would be -- attend if you are interested in the subject matter, rather than trying to "get out of" your BFR or something of that nature.

NEVER turn down free flight instruction. Are you sure this is the case? Usually the seminar is ground instruction and the flight instruction is on you.

Yes depends on the broker/underwriter

Best I ever did was $200

3. Have any of you used this program instead of getting bi-annual flight reviews?

Yes

Depends on how far

Usually. Not only from the program but from other attendees.

It also helps you get to know your local FSDO guys which ain't a bad thing.

It's like a flyin. Informative, fun, meet new people.

Time well spent

I've attended a number of Wings Seminars and I have always learned something of value. I have not used the Wings program in lieu of a BFR, but I still think attending is worth the time and effort.

I was invited to attend an FAA Wings seminar tomorrow night and was wondering if anybody has attended any of these. I have several questions...

NO

YES

NO

YES YES and YES ... I was learn something when flying with another pilot!

Mel said:
NEVER turn down free flight instruction. Are you sure this is the case? Usually the seminar is ground instruction and the flight instruction is on you.
I'm sure it was the case for the Wings event I went to in Butler Co, OH, but I doubt if it's universal. YMMV, and all that.

OT, your panel blank is ready for delivery. Remind your buddy to give me a call sometime Tues - Thurs.

FAA Pilot Proficiency Program (wings)

I feel that this program is one of the best that the FAA has ever developed. The biannual flight review does not require the level of pilot involvement the Wings program does.

Military pilots and airline pilots are required to participate in periodic training and evaluation. We who fly under part 91 rules are only required to take the BFR. Since, when I am flying, it is my rear end that is on the line if I mess up, I want to get some of the same training that the professional pilots get. The voluntary Wings program provides a structure that enables me to do that. The requirements are general, a safety seminar, one hour of air work, one hour of instrument work and one hour of pattern work. Within those requirements, you and your flight instructor can develop a program that fits you needs.

I like it, it is voluntary and fits my needs.

Bryan Wood said:

Curiously, the Wings program substitutes only for the "FLIGHT" portion of the BFR, not the ground portion. You will still need 1 hour on Part 91, but you could do it with ground instructor!

Hi Bryan,
by all means go! I attend these seminars because the more I learn the more I realize what I have forgotten! It also helps sort out the "armchair" flying from reality. I have used perhaps 2 of the seminars for the actual BFR. Three dedicated hours of flight work has been split into two one and a half hour blocks with lunch in between. The lunch break gives time to go over the oral part of the BFR as well as to critique what may need work.
Enjoy the seminar.
Paul
N694BP Reserved

Wings and Insurance

Yes there is insurance discounts for participation in Wings. BUT... It might not do much for experimental insurance.

My certified airplane is with Avemco, and each year, if I do the following I get a 10% renewed discount. Another way to look at it - if I don't want a 10% increase, I do the following.

a) do a wings program, both the flight and a seminar (good for 5%)
b) take one of the King "recurrent" programs, there are 3 or 4 of them and they come out each year on DVD. They are about $50, but with a $300K airplane, I more than pay for it in insurance reductions. (good for another 5%)

Also, I noticed this year on my experimental (which is only insured for build and not in motion), they asked me if I participated in wings.

I think the insurance companies are looking at it in the same way they look at "recurrent" training. If you participate, it worth asking for a discount, if they don't offer. BTW, the Avemco webpage describes the discount, it's not something you have to beg for, they encourage it.

Back