What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Earlier thread on minimum IFR equip?

redbeardmark

Well Known Member
Someone recently posted a very good message regarding minimum IFR equipment. This person had listed FAR's and discussions with the local FSDO. I've looked for it, but can't find it again. Does anyone recall where the message is located?
Thanks in advance,
Mark Andrews N598X

Actual IFR Experience in RV-6A

I've had my instrument rating for more than 20 years and I flew our Archer II to work every day in Los Angeles for around 15 years before retirement last September. I never used the auto pilot except occassionally to verify that it was still working so of course I never even considered putting one in the RV-6A. After the first IFR trip from Arkansas to California and back I have decided that was a mistake. In VFR the airplane is a pussy cat but you look inside the cockpit for a few seconds to setup charts etc. and you realize why they taught recovery from unusual attitudes way back in private pilot training. The plane will stand on a wingtip and be 45 degrees off course faster than you can imagine. As much as I hate to buy one and install it, I believe with this airplane an auto pilot is a very good idea even though it is not legally required as minimum IFR equipment.

Bob Axsom
RV-6A N710BJ

Back