What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Skyview owners. Antenna for ADSB ?

Dynon has posted that this will require it's own antenna, of the transponder type variety, and it cannot share the same antenna as your transponder.

And from their forum I think I gleaned that the antenna must be separated from other antennas by some specified distance.

I bought mine from Delta Pop. I put the ADS-B and XPNDR antennas just behind the baggage bulkhead and they sit just over 2' from each other.

IMG_2596-M.jpg

Thanks Bruce and Bill. Guess Ill put up my old transponder antenna up for sale. Its the the single 3" pole type. I checked that website and Ill order one for each (transponder and ADSB). Thanks guys much appreciated.

Ron in Oregon

To close to the edge?

Installation recommendations from the manufacturer:

For optimum performance the ground plane should be about 8? diameter for the UWB, UAT, and Transponder antennas.

Insure that the antenna base / mounting studs make good electrical connection with the ground plane

Get the 978 MHz variety, that's the frequency the UAT will operate on. It will still work with the standard transponder antenna, just with more loss and weaker signal.

hi Greg, I just installed my flaps on my QB9A. I found that my wing tip and aileron and flap edges line up but I noticed a small gap or known as flap slightly extended. What I mean is the flaps are down about 1/2" at trailing edge. Do you find the same with yours? Ron in Oregon

hi Greg, I just installed my flaps on my QB9A. I found that my wing tip and aileron and flap edges line up but I noticed a small gap or known as flap slightly extended. What I mean is the flaps are down about 1/2" at trailing edge. Do you find the same with yours? Ron in Oregon

Ron, I've got my wings pulled off right now while I'm working on the cockpit wiring and instrument panel, I'll have to wait a while to answer that question but if my memory serves I had about 1/4" gap, it was pretty tight.

Hi Greg, Well I got the chance to check a few RV's and talk with and number of 9A owners and I'm going to go with my small gap at the fuselage and the with the flap. There is a 2" extended flange of flap skin which rests up against the bottom of the fuselage. This I put a slight bend in it so it mates up with the fuselage and looking at it it looks like it should be there with conformity. Now my trailing edges of the flap,aileron and wing tip all line up. If there is a problem I'll correct it later in flight testing. How on the Vans factory 9A that inboard flange is all but 60% trimmed off. As Mark was saying about that picture of the inboard 9A flap, well my take on it, its been modified slightly. so going back on the B-1 bomber scenario. It isn't but its close because it is a flying machine! Thanks for the explanation on the tip-split. That's good to know.Nice to hear that's something that can be altered with good success. Did stop by Vans yesterday and bought screws and #6 dimpled nut plates for the Wing Root Fairing (F-999). Plans call for #8 and its a little over kill and many builders are going to the #6. ALSO BE VERY CAREFUL OF THE LAST NUTPLATE WHERE THE FLAP COMES UP INTO THE WING. I THINK ITS A #7 NOTE.

Thanks Ron in Oregon.

Last edited:
Well my Dynon ADSB antenna is back ordered now two weeks. Not a big deal. Flap gap I'm now told don't fret about the gap. Fly it first and make the slight adjustments later if any at all. Keep you all up dated.
Ron in Oregon

Back