What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Residential Airparks

Aggie98

Wife and I are looking into airparks for our next home. We are currently located in Fort Worth, but would like to compile a list of airparks for all of Texas (or any other place) as we are not going to limit our search to the DFW area. I plan on placing the data in a spreadsheet (for possible database upload in the future). If you could help me out, please create a single posting for each airpark with the airpark ID, name and location in the title.

Example: T67 - Hicks Field, North of Fort Worth, TX

The other fields I am populating:

Home Type: Single Family Homes, Hangar Homes, Mixed
Open Lots Available: Yes, No
Average Lot Size:
Deed Restrictions: Yes, No
Airpark Web Site: url address
Runway length:
Runway type: concrete, turf, etc.
Other Website: Navair etc.

I will be glad to share the list when available.

Starter info.....

Micky,

I was where you are lats year - looking for info on Airparks. To get you starte don your list, if you haven't foudn it already, try:

http://www.airporthomes.com

That will at least get you a list of places. This is an interesting chase - there are very few decent web sites on any of the airparks - kinda like they want to keep them secret - or they tell you about them, but they are all sold out. There are several older threads here in the archives on this topic you can search for as well. In the end, I found my lot at Kestrel THROUGH THIS FORUM!! :) Got a lead from another RV-8 builder. It's all about networking.....

I don't live there yet, haven't built yet, but I do own a lot!

Kestrel Airpark (1T7), about 25 miles North of San Antonio:

Home Type: Single Family Homes
Open Lots Available: Yes (but all in private hands - need to find someone selling)
Average Lot Size: 1 Acre
Deed Restrictions: Yes
Airpark Web Site: url address (????? - never found one!)
Runway length: about 3,000'
Runway type: Hard Surface with parallel taxiways on each side

Paul

Fuel?

Wife and I are looking into airparks for our next home. We are currently located in Fort Worth, but would like to compile a list of airparks for all of Texas (or any other place) as we are not going to limit our search to the DFW area. I plan on placing the data in a spreadsheet (for possible database upload in the future). If you could help me out, please create a single posting for each airpark with the airpark ID, name and location in the title.

Example: T67 - Hicks Field, North of Fort Worth, TX

The other fields I am populating:

Home Type: Single Family Homes, Hangar Homes, Mixed
Open Lots Available: Yes, No
Average Lot Size:
Deed Restrictions: Yes, No
Airpark Web Site: url address
Runway length:
Runway type: concrete, turf, etc.
Other Website: Navair etc.

I will be glad to share the list when available.

Add one other item to your list....

* Fuel available on site: yes/no

...makes things much more convenient when you set out on a trip...

gil A

Yeah, http://livingwithyourplane.com under the "links" has the best selection of further links to the various airparks out there. I live at Sandia Airpark in Edgewood, NM. So, for what it's worth, I'll fill in your DB table info:

1N1 - Sandia Airpark Estates East, Edgewood, NM
Home Type: Single Family Homes
Open Lots Available: Yes
Average Lot Size: 1 acre
Deed Restrictions: Yes
Airpark Web Site: www.sandiaairpark.com
Runway Length: 5,200 feet
Runway Type: Asphalt
Other Website:
FBO/Fuel On Site: Yes

There's a new development just opening up on the north side of the existing runway which will have lots from $99,000, 1.64 to 2.44 acres.

Randle-Kiona Airpark
WN55
Look up data on Airnav, includes a small picture. It has been recently updated.
2400 ft gravel with 800 ft grass over run on west end.
5 acre lots with a few smaller, down to 1.25 acre.
Residential with some non flyers who own horses but are not trouble, having recently agreed to permit taxiing under power from runway to homesites on some designated areas.
Limited covenants,
homeowners annual dues $200.
Airpark annual dues $300.

Also Russ Toupes is selling his new custom house with hanger at Randle Kiona airpark in Washington, see pics in Barnstormer ad. There is frequently a lot or two for sale, that's the way I went.
Also: Check Barnstormers ads for airport and airpark property.

who owns the runway??

You might also care about who owns and maintains the runway, and what the residents there think about it. There are also long term implications of chain of ownership issues with certain airpark runways. Also, more than a few airparks I know of have a real problem with maintenance costs. This is not meant to be a plug for Independence, but I see it as a significant advantage to the homeowners association that the state owns and maintains the runway, YMMV...

Runway costs...

You might also care about who owns and maintains the runway, and what the residents there think about it. There are also long term implications of chain of ownership issues with certain airpark runways. Also, more than a few airparks I know of have a real problem with maintenance costs. This is not meant to be a plug for Independence, but I see it as a significant advantage to the homeowners association that the state owns and maintains the runway, YMMV...

Yep... the present asphalt cost for a 4000 to 5000 ft. runway is going to exceed $300,000, plus the big yellow machines needed for the surface preparation.

The number of lots this is spread out over is important for future maintenance... our 4500 x 44 runway cost $300,000 to be rebuilt in 2000, and building costs have skyrocketed since then....:(

You might also want to ask how old the runway is... and what it's expected lifespan is (ours lasted 20 years)

Back