What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CS prop install

Ian

Hi there,

visiting Randy's "RV-3Works" I was wondering about that firewall recess for governor clearance...

I know Randy did it (well) almost "in blind" before having the exact dimensions of this governor "protuberance"...Are you happy Randy with your firewall recess or would you recommend, with your experience now, another solution, different dimensions or option for cutting the firewall in order to fit well for the governor...

This point is of high interest for me as I don't have wing fuel tanks, but the classical fuselage tank that may interfere with all that stuff if not sufficiently prepared. I would like to make sure this mod is OK for my bird.
Could you please provide me with some dimensions of your installation (I mean firewall aft...) or for the "ideal" minimum acceptable dimensions for install of a Jihostroj P920-028 governor for the 151 prop ?

Many thanX !

Ian

Ian said:
Hi there,
I know Randy did it (well) almost "in blind" before having the exact dimensions of this governor "protuberance"...Are you happy Randy with your firewall recess or would you recommend, with your experience now, another solution, different dimensions or option for cutting the firewall in order to fit well for the governor...

This point is of high interest for me as I don't have wing fuel tanks, but the classical fuselage tank that may interfere with all that stuff if not sufficiently prepared. I would like to make sure this mod is OK for my bird.
Could you please provide me with some dimensions of your installation (I mean firewall aft...) or for the "ideal" minimum acceptable dimensions for install of a Jihostroj P920-028 governor for the 151 prop ?

Ian
Ian, the location I used for my recess is working out well, would use the same location again. As I think you can see in this pic below the top of the recess structure ties in with the upper firewall brace. I did need to modify my governor cable bracket slightly to clear the corner of the recess but I don't think changing the location, even slightly, would prevent that.

The Van's recess box I used protrudes aft from the firewall 2.25", hope that helps.
DSC_0581.jpg

Hi Randy,

Many thanks for your reply....sounds clear !....I will check this out to see if it is OK with the fuselage tank version.....hope 2.25" is enough...

Just confirm you got the recess box directly from Van's...or made from scratch ?...

Regards

Back