What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I can't believe I missed That.....

Ace

Well I thought I was almost done with the tailcone riveting. I was going back through looking at all the rivets, reshooting some undersets, drilling out uglies, when I noticed something did not look right with the bellcrank ribs. I had riveted them to the 1007 and to the skins yet I had not dimpled the flanges which attatch to the skins!!! I went back through the plans and coannot find any instruction to dimple the flanges of the bellcrank ribs. I am sure that it must be done, so I went back and drilled out every rivet holding the skins to the ribs..... What a silly mistake... I noticed it while just looking over the progress.... I can't believe I bucked every one of those the first time and never noticed. If any of you see the instruction in the plans, please list page number so that I can confirm my slow progression towards senility. Anyways I am glad that I caught it even though some of the 470-4 that attatch to the 1007 are now tipped over and of lower quality than the originals. I dare not redrill them again. Hopefully I will be the last person to make that mistake.... (maybe I was first too....) anyways ...... back to work.....I'll be in the air one day.......ACE

Look at it as good prep for the wings and fuse, because once you're done with the tailcone they stop giving you details on what to dimple. In many cases you'll have to look at the rivet callouts to determine what is dimpled and what is not.

PJ

Don't feel bad, feel experienced!!

The plans did tell you to dimple all the holes in the skin except the ones shown on the riveting layout that don't get a rivet ;) .

Slow down, look at what's going to gether before jumping right in with the drill or rivet gun.

P.J. is right on about wait till you get to the wings and fuselage. As you progress you will find many areas where you have to determine whether or when to dimple. Expect the hand holding to go away as you progress through each part.

Here a time saver for now, run your static tubing and tailcone wires before you get the top skin on the cone. I just crawled through my cone :p putting in rudder cables, seatbelt lanyards and trim/ELT/light/strobe wiring in 110 degree heat at 6'-1", 240 lbs, :cool: made it OK but would have been ahelluvalot easier at your stage. Too bad you don't get the rudder cables until the fuselage kit, Van's may send it to you in advance though, I have done that with several other parts. Paid in advance for that part. Just have them leave off whatever it is on your order when you place it.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for the tips. I am getting the qb fuse & wing in a few weeks. I think I'll hold off on the top skin until after starting the emp attatch.
ACE

Back