What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any accessible by air campgrounds in northern MI?

jantar

I have a few days off and I would like to spend it somewhere near a lake in northern MI. Does anyone have any recommendation? Maybe a fly in camp or a field in close proximity to a campground and a lake.

houghton lake has a airport very near by don't know how far to campground though,

nice airport though, check it out on airnav KHTL

Torchport

Torchport is an airport community under development, no homes yet. They allow camping at the front of the facility. Airport ID is 59M. 2 runways 9/27 and 4/22. Both are turf. It is between Torch Lake and Grand Traverse bay. I do not know if there is lake access at the field. They are beautiful lakes, may require walking or trying to get a ride to a beach though.

Gaylord, GLR, is close to Otsego Lake, but you would need to find a ride to the lake within 1 to 2 miles by air. Iosco Co., 6D9, is close to Lake Huron.

St. Ignace and Mackinaw Island 83D and MCD are both up by the Mackinac Bridge, beautiful area. Not sure about camping on the island, but plenty of hotels, no cars but there are bicycles and carriages drawn by horses on the island. The island charges a landing fee (last time there it was $7.00 for single engine). Fuel is probably expensive on the island.
If you have never been there it is spectacular to fly to!

There are many lakes, and airports are close to many, just not sure about the camping. If there is any way to get to Mackinac Island it is a beautiful flight and to see the bridge from the air is something!

Nice restaurant at Pellston PLN, which is not too far south of the bridge.

You also could consider Sault Ste Marie (on Lake Superior), KANJ, and see the Sault Locks, (pronounced Soo Saint Marie, Soo Locks). The entire area is beautiful to fly around however in the upper peninsula there are not a lot of fields or roads, don't fly at night, if you lose an engine not many places to land, but it is beautiful especially in the autumn with the trees turning color.

Hope this helps,

Back