What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recomended fly in camp sites in CA, AZ, NV, UT

pmathews

I'm looking to give fly in camping a try. I've heard that there are US Forest service back country strips that you can land on in the middle of nowhere - are these strips on the sectional?

Would like to to find a place that can only be easily gotten to by airplane. Hopfully with a stream/river/lake nearby for fishing.

Camping with your airplane

Payson, Arizona (KPAN) has nice little camping spots right next to the runway, and a great restaraunt, but it is in town, not out in the woods.......

L05 - Kern Valley Airport in Kernville, CA. Has the Kern River and Lake Isabella essentially adjacent to the airport, which has an airplane campground. Fire pits, outhouse, "al fresco" shower. Good cafe. Horseshoe pits by the cafe. Walk to the river, walk to the lake.

Columbia (O22) has on-airport camping and showers, 10 minute walk to state park, a gold rush era town. This is a good destination for first time air campers.

Georgetown (E36) is a bit more challenging airport with camping. Not much there but very peaceful.

Oceano (L52) has on-airport camping, quick walk to the beach, they rent tents too if you don't have one.

Now, if you ever make it up into Oregon you can camp at any state-owned airport and there are a ton.

Last edited:
Lake Pillsbury (Gravelly Valley)

I've been thinking about going to Lake Pillsbury which is about 30nm's from Clear lake, CA. I drove there once pulling my boat which was a big mistake because the road turns to gravel, and then dirt many miles before getting to the resort/campgrounds. Once there however the lake was beautiful with grassy meadows down to the lake with deer along the shore lines. This lack of highways does keep the crowds down (we were the only boat on the lake all day) and the scenary is very nice. If you go here please post and share with us.

The runway is owned and maintained by the CA department of forestry and is gravel. Here is a link to a write up with pictures that I found for Lake Pillsbury.
http://www.aeroventure.com/Aeroventure/Places_To_Go/Lake_Pillsbury/Lake_Pillsbury.htm

This looks like it could be a Idaho like destination in an hour for Bay area RV'ers, and about two hours and a few minutes for the So. Cal group. Any brave souls that don't mind landing their RV on gravel to try it out?
Regards,

Bryan Wood said:
Any brave souls that don't mind landing their RV on gravel to try it out?
Next time I'm up visiting my sister at Willits I'll at least drag the strip at Gravelly Valley (1Q5) and check it out.

I've had other airplane buddies that flew in there that really enjoyed it. I haven't met any RV types that have been in there yet. My plane isn't painted yet. Maybe I should try it out. :)

The one thing that those who have flown in to Gravelly Valley really stress to me was that I should bring plenty of my own water.

Correction

Mr Woods said that the airstrip was a CDF facility----------it is actually the U.S. Forrest Service.

The two entities are often confused, however CDF doesnt have any airstrips, back country or otherwise.

Lake Pillsbury is indeed a nice spot-----spent a week there on a fire once.

Mike, CDF retired.

Utah destinations

Go to http://www.utahbackcountrypilots.org/ for current info. These people got permission from the state and/or the current owner to catalog, photograph, maintain, and use the backcountry landing strips in Utah. They did a fine job and deserve our support.
I'd be leaving my "A" model at home for most of these strips.
Steve

Back