What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need 8 degree tilt gauges?

walkman

Well Known Member
Looks like my ADI and DG are on their last legs.

Do I need to spend the extra for gyros with an 8 degree tilt in them, or are regular ones good enough?

thanks

Looks like my ADI and DG are on their last legs.

Do I need to spend the extra for gyros with an 8 degree tilt in them, or are regular ones good enough?

thanks

If you're using a spinning gyro, not having the built in tilt will cause them to fail prematurely. That being said, investing in any new mechanical gyros is money poorly invested. Much better to just buy any of the newer digital instruments...a Dynon D1/6/10a or a trutrak Gemini for example.

Cheers,
Stein

If you're using a spinning gyro, not having the built in tilt will cause them to fail prematurely. That being said, investing in any new mechanical gyros is money poorly invested. Much better to just buy any of the newer digital instruments...a Dynon D1/6/10a or a trutrak Gemini for example.

Cheers,
Stein

If/when I go with a glass panel I will still have one backup steam gauge. I would hate to have an electrical failure IMC and loose everything.

If/when I go with a glass panel I will still have one backup steam gauge. I would hate to have an electrical failure IMC and loose everything.

You are right in the fact that it has happened and will happen....just like with Vacuum systems - but a LOT less frequently. Reliability between the two general system architectures are so far removed they aren't even on the same page. I agree redundancy is a good thing for IFR flight (should be required), but it doesn't necessarily mean you must have one vac and one elctrical instrument. A properly designed electrical system and it's sub components will alleviate that risk to an good level - probably to the point where it's less likely to fail (have a better MTBF overall) than any of the other singular points of failure that still exist in our RV's. We still have one prop, one elevator pushrod, one camshaft, one main fuel line, etc.. That means we desing the plane around the 99th percentile of flying, but as you mention still take into account that 1th percentile of emergency.

Like I said, I can see your position and can't completely disagree with you. Just pointing out the other side of the coin as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

You are right in the fact that it has happened and will happen....just like with Vacuum systems - but a LOT less frequently. Reliability between the two general system architectures are so far removed they aren't even on the same page. I agree redundancy is a good thing for IFR flight (should be required), but it doesn't necessarily mean you must have one vac and one elctrical instrument. A properly designed electrical system and it's sub components will alleviate that risk to an good level - probably to the point where it's less likely to fail (have a better MTBF overall) than any of the other singular points of failure that still exist in our RV's. We still have one prop, one elevator pushrod, one camshaft, one main fuel line, etc.. That means we desing the plane around the 99th percentile of flying, but as you mention still take into account that 1th percentile of emergency.

Like I said, I can see your position and can't completely disagree with you. Just pointing out the other side of the coin as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

and I appreciate that.

I have been kicking around "going glass" to the point of getting quotes and putting together an equipment list. However, I would have to do a significant amount of work on the aircraft electrical system. To wit: dual alt, dual batteries, redundant buss configs, and so forth.

I suppose I could put a D10A in where the horizon is now, move the horizon down in place of the DG and pitch the DG.

and I appreciate that.

I have been kicking around "going glass" to the point of getting quotes and putting together an equipment list. However, I would have to do a significant amount of work on the aircraft electrical system. To wit: dual alt, dual batteries, redundant buss configs, and so forth.

I suppose I could put a D10A in where the horizon is now, move the horizon down in place of the DG and pitch the DG.

That's an excellent interim idea! Note that there is no reason to go with dual electrical everything for a simple setup....when the backup battery of the D1/D6/D10A will likely last longer than any fuel you have remaining in the tanks of an RV6. Also a pretty easy install for any of these new little EFISes that will go right into your existing 3 1/8" hole.

Cheers,
Stein

Back