What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sensenich prop and spacer problem

jeff beckley

Well Known Member
Went to install the prop and spacer on the ring gear. Spacer is a 2.5" and it hase two pins that are suppose to engage into the prop. Upon trying to slide these pins I have found them to be much to tight. I use the prop bolts to pull the space and prop together but quit after about a half an inch. It took an hour to remove the spacer.
Should this be this way or can I slightly enlarge the mating holes in the prop?

The pins are ment to be a tight fit. If you bought the prop new there should be instructions on how to put it together. Basically you use a small sledge hammer and beat the two together. My prefered method is to find somebody with a press and press them together.

Gary

Well that won't do. I have a spinner back plate that has to go between the prop and spacer. I have to be able to install and remove this plate for trial fitting and mods.
I dont understand why it has to be .003 undersize.
After I split the two and only having them pressed together 1/2" it showed signs that the pins were scrapping a ledge of material as it went in.

Solution?

Call Ed at Sensenich in Pennsylvania. He's been great to deal with.

2006 Sensenich Propeller Manufacturing Company
14 Citation Lane - Lititz PA, 17543
Phone: (717) 569-0435 - Fax: (717) 560-3725

freezer

Someone told me to put the spacer in the freezer overnight and then use the sledgehammer and a 2X6 for a cushion. It worked great for me. I also had the back plate between the two. Once the prop, spacer and back plate are together, mount it on your engine and put the spinner off and on 50 times for fitting, if needed. (To be honest, I really don't know if the freezer part helped or if it would have gone on just as well without). Whatever you do I would NOT enlarge the holes. The Sensenich web site has instructions in PDF form, I think. If I have misinterpreted your issue here, please disregard. Jack

Back