What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EI FP-5 with Van's backup?

NYTOM

Well Known Member
For anyone using the EI FP-5 fuel flow computer, do you think I'd be wasting time and adding extra unnecessary weight if I installed the two fuel level gauges Van included with my kit along with the EI FP-5? :confused:
I can't find it but I sware I viewed a video of Danny King giving a tour of "Beautiful Doll" a few years ago where he said the gauges were a waste of time because he never looked at them since he had the EI FP-5. But then again he did have them if the EI instrument went South. ;)
Do you EI FP-5 guys have the Van fuel gauges too? :confused:

I have the EI FP-5 and an EI FL-2 fuel gauge, which shows fuel level for both tanks. I believe you are stuck with 91.205, and the requirement to be able to show fuel in each tank. The FP-5 is really nice and I'd hate to fly without it, but the way I read it you still need a fuel gauge.

Funny, I have found the capacitance fuel level senders so accurate I never look at my fuel flow.

EI FP-5L

Hello NYTOM

I've got the FP-5L in my RV-4 with a separate Van's fuel gauge and eventough I religiously calibrated the K-Factor and cross checked it everytime I refuelled, the FP-5L is always off a little vs the reading on the pump so it is nice to have a separate fuel gauge to be able to cross check ..

Just my $0.02

Bruno

Gauges

Sure is nice to have the gauges when you forget to reset the totalizer after getting gas.

Thanks for the feedback

This is why I love this site. I'm not really building this plane alone, I got you guys looking over my shoulder. I love the responses to my question and I'm going to tuck those gauges in some where. :)
Thanks,

Back