What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ammeter indication erratic

kai

Hello,

last year we bought a used RV-9A. The indication of the ammeter is erratic. As soon as the engine is running and the alternator is online, the indication fluctuates between -5A and +5A.
Has anyone an Idea how to solve that problem?

Thanks,

Kai.

It might help if you gave more info.. what type of alternator and regulator?
Voltmeter readings?

Hello,

last year we bought a used RV-9A. The indication of the ammeter is erratic. As soon as the engine is running and the alternator is online, the indication fluctuates between -5A and +5A.
Has anyone an Idea how to solve that problem?

Thanks,

Kai.

I have a Van's ammeter in my -6 and it does the same. I also have an Alternator low voltage warning light so at least I know that it is working.

I think that the "electronic" Van's ammeter gets overwhelmed by noise when the current through the shunt is close to zero.

Interested in others' experience - or fixes.

Alternator belt?

A frend of mine also had erratic reading on his ampmeter until he found a slipping alternator belt during his first annual condition inspection.
The belt had a slightly different shape than the pulley groove and obviously caused it to slip.
With a new perfectly matched belt, erratic readings just disappeared.
Hope this helps

Thanks for the fast response!

Due to noise issues we removed the 35Amp alternator and installed a Plane Power 60Amp alternator with integrated regulator. It?s a AL12-EI60/B, baught via Van?s.
The issues was there before, with the old alternator. A slipping belt can be excluded. And yes, it seems that it is only at low current.
Main Bus voltage is at 14.3 V.

If there is a overwhelming noise, would it help to replace the wires from the shunt to the ammeter with shielded ones?

Thanks for the help,

Kai.

Thanks for the fast response!

Due to noise issues we removed the 35Amp alternator and installed a Plane Power 60Amp alternator with integrated regulator. It?s a AL12-EI60/B, baught via Van?s.
The issues was there before, with the old alternator. A slipping belt can be excluded. And yes, it seems that it is only at low current.
Main Bus voltage is at 14.3 V.

If there is a overwhelming noise, would it help to replace the wires from the shunt to the ammeter with shielded ones?

Thanks for the help,

Kai.

Shielded wires - or I have heard simply forming a "twisted pair" with the wires to the ammeter helps.

More of an annoyance than a problem at the moment so I haven't expended the energy yet to scramble behind the panel and "experiment" :)

Ok, I will replace the wires with shielded twisted pair. I will report what I found out.

Thx,

Kai.

I've seen APRS transmitters cause that when the coax to the antenna is not shielded completely to the antenna.

Kevin Belue
RV-6A
RV-10

I have no APRS tracker installed. The erratic indication still exist when the avionic is switched off.

Kai.

Something to try.

I had a similar problem and it was the master/alt switch. I read somewhere that the switch could cause the problem but I didn't believe it. However, I swapped the switch out and the fluctuations stopped. YMMV

That?s interesting. The main switch controls only the main relay. Can?t imagine that this could solve that problem. But when the shielded wire won?t fix it, I will try it.

Thanks!

Yesterday I replaced the wires with a shielded one. The indication is now much better but not perfect, it is still erratic. But ok for the moment. Next winter we will install a G3X and remove all the steam gauges.
The shunt is located directly behind the magneto, with a clearence of 1-1.5 inch to the magneto wires. Maybe that could cause the erratic indication?

I think, when I install the G3X i will install the new shunt in a different location, so that I have more clearence to the magneto.

When I key the com, the Indication on the ammeter goes to the lower limit (below -40Amps). That seems to be an interference of the com, because it definately cannot draw more than 10Amps, thats the limit of the CB.

Kai.

Back