What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone Flying the Trio GX Pro Autopilot?

RV7ator

Well Known Member
I'm intrigued by the Trio offering in lieu of the more usual TruTrak GX Pilot installation with a Garmin G3X. Anybody flying one?

John Siebold

Nope

Never flown it, but I own one. I purchased so that I could install my aileron servo while building the wings. I have settled on the g3x, and therefore the trio gx pilot. It's sitting in my sock drawer right now. I visited the shop where they are fabricated and Jerry ran me through a demo. I m confident it will provide the functionality and display I am looking for, at half the price of the TT. (wasn't ready to purchase entire system, all at once.).

The GX Pilot and ProPilot are the same autopilot but optimized to work specifically with the G3X. I have the ProPilot and happy with it. In my previous RV I had the TT VSGV coupled to a dual GRT Horizon and GNS480 so I can compare the two. My current panel the ProPilot is coupled to my GRT Sport and SL30. The better information displayed and increased capabilities combined with a lower price make it a no brainer to select the Trio. Once turned on the TT and Trio work the same.

Thanks, Capflyer.

I prefer the Trio display as well. From what I read in their brochures, you can operate all functions of the autopilot from the Trio head and not push buttons on the G3X. That right? I intend allowing it to read either a GTN650 (which may be routed through the G3X - I'm not sure just yet), or via a switch, a 795. The latter will not provide GPSS or LPV, but I don't need to carry the redunancy thing that far.

How does the Pro Pilot act in still, smooth air? What I've found most annoying in Dynon and TT autopilots is the tendency to wander slightly off center, then correct and overshoot. All very slight, but in still air I think they should not do anything; I can do better. The ship is trimmed perfectly straight and level.

John Siebold

You are correct on the ability to control everything through the head. I have a switch that will disconnect the ARINC signal from the EFIS (built in GPS) but it will still use the heading or destination for lateral guidence which comes over RS232. By doing this I can dial into the AP head the altitude I wish to go to and the VS to get there. Usually though I route through the ARINC so I can control it through my EFIS. It is good to have the additional functionality and I feel confident that if I lost my EFIS I could fly the plane on the AP alone in IMC. In smooth air it works fine, not much different than my TT did.

I have the Trio Pro and in smooth air it is rock solid, whether controlled by the EFIS (GRT HX) or on its own.

But I've seen TruTraks work well, too, so I'd guess that if it doesn't work excellently in smooth air it needs some software adjustment.

No experience with Dynons.

Thanks, Capflyer.

I prefer the Trio display as well. From what I read in their brochures, you can operate all functions of the autopilot from the Trio head and not push buttons on the G3X. That right? I intend allowing it to read either a GTN650 (which may be routed through the G3X - I'm not sure just yet), or via a switch, a 795. The latter will not provide GPSS or LPV, but I don't need to carry the redunancy thing that far.

How does the Pro Pilot act in still, smooth air? What I've found most annoying in Dynon and TT autopilots is the tendency to wander slightly off center, then correct and overshoot. All very slight, but in still air I think they should not do anything; I can do better. The ship is trimmed perfectly straight and level.

John Siebold

If you're having trouble with the autopilot wandering in still air, please give us a call. Most likely this is just a setting adjustment that needs to be made. Thanks!

Back