What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another newbie saying Hi (@ KPAE)

AirShowFan

Well Known Member
Patron
Hey everyone.

A friend of mine and I bought an RV-6A in January. Now that the weather is nice and pilots are out and about, I thought I'd make a little bit more of an effort to meet fellow RV-ators in the area. So far, everyone I met is super nice, excited about their RVs, and more than happy to share fun and informative stories. It seems that, in flying (as with many other things), it's beneficial to be a part of a community so that people can have fun together and learn from each other.

I have not been a pilot for very long. I started flight-training in LSAs in the fall of 2009, and got my Private Pilot in the spring of 2011 (and my tailwheel endorsement shortly afterwards). But I am a lifelong aviation geek who has always devoured everything I can find about airplanes. In college, I created and taught a course about the history of aviation technology. On weekends for the past ~10 years, I have covered many airshows for aviation magazines (hence the username). And now I'm an engineer at Boeing. I hope to build my own RV someday, but right now I have nowhere near the necessary amount of time.

After I got my PPL and TW, next on the list was to learn aerobatics. I looked at renting aerobatic airplanes, but it was surprisingly expensive, and mostly not at convenient locations (I live and work right by KPAE), and it seemed like the owner and/or a CFI had to go up with me every time (i.e. limited prospects for soloing, let alone taking up a friend). The solution, of course, was to buy an airplane. My friend and I looked at all the usual suspects: Citabria, Cessna Aerobat, even the Musketeer, as well as the Thorp 18 and all the RVs, and ended up settling on the RV-6/6A.

I've met a couple of fellow RV owners at KPAE. Are there any more on this forum?

And yes, I know that there are a lot of RV owners at AWO, and that I ought to show up at the EAA and IAC meetings there sometime.

Cheers,

Bernardo

Seattle RVs

You'll find a fair number of RV guys from the area on this forum. There's a good number up at Arlington, somewhat lesser at Paine, then half dozen or so at Auburn and a large number at Thun Field. Across the sound you'll find a good scattering at Bremerton and Apex for sure. Welcome to the local flying area!

Back