What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel Label ideas

R7237

Well Known Member
Researching on how to place labels on the instrument panel. Really like the professional look of the screen printing, but a rather involved process for a newbie. Has anyone ever tried Inkjet Heat transfer like you see on t-shirts? I realize it will probably require a clear coat to get it to stay on a flat surface, just seeing if anyone has tried it. I know about the dry transfer method, just seems iron inkjet labels may be the easiest way to go. Thanks

Rob

+1 for decals.
Homemade ones will depend on printer. The ink density makes a difference.

If you can make an electronic file with the word groupings, Stein can make the decals. Talk to them for details.

Plan for twice as many as you need. You will screw some of them up.

Test any clear coat you plan to use to make sure it does not wrinkle the decal or the basecoat.

7290546504efe6d68a8589.jpg

Last edited:
Just as an FYI, none of the biggest panels shops use silkscreening anymore (for many reasons, time/cost/pain/modification, mess, etc..). We all use decals that get clearcoated over. We do not print them on an inkjet printer (though those will sorta work sometimes if you only need dark colors). The Inkjet ink is not UV stable, nor is it conducive to being clearcoated with some paints. All of the shops I know use expensive Dye Sublimation printers on a variation of mylar decals that then get coated. Advantage is the ink is resistant to chemicals, UV stable and you can print white...which for the most part can't be done on Inkets (except for high end sign printers) or other light colors. The Dye Sub printers also allow for metallic foils to be printed as well.

Overall, they look good, are easy to apply, and affordable. Indeed we provide lots of labels for lots of folks, just send us a file and we'll print it for you.

Cheers,
Stein

I get great decals made up at ...

...my local trophy shop. And they're VERY inexpensive. I just tell them decal shape/size and font selection and size.

Back