What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Increasing Vne structurally

Tandem46

Well Known Member
With all the talk of Vne lately, I'm genuinely curious how does one increase the Vne of an RV structurally? Does one simply build a tail with thicker skins? I ask because when Van's came out with the RV-7, he increased the Vne from the RV-6's 200mph to 230mph (200kts). This quote is from the Van's site at the time of the RV-7 release:

Can I use my RV-6/6A empennage kit on an RV-7/7A?
Maybe.
Because of the higher Vne, the RV-7/7A MUST HAVE the thicker 0.020" thick elevator and rudder skins AND a counterbalanced rudder. The thinner 0.016" thick skins that are standard on the RV-6/6A, and the older RV-6/6A rudder without the counterbalance, are NOT FOR USE ON THE RV-7/7A.

Is it that simple? If it is, one thing that confuses me is that the above says you need the thicker elevator and rudders skins, but my RV-7 rudder skins are paper thin. I don't have the thickness numbers on me, but the original RV-7 rudder skin was a one piece skin much like the elevator skins and of similar, if not exactly, the same thickness. When Van's enlarged the -7 rudder to counter undesirable spin recovery characteristics, the new one was a two-piece and very thin. Yet the Vne didn't change? The rudder horn was much larger. Did that compensate for the thinner skins?

Back