What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Planning Question for Dan H

LarryT

Well Known Member
In earlier posts you have recommended 3 coats of mixed epoxy resin to fill pinholes. Your recommendation was to squeegee on a coat, let it get "firm" and then apply the subsequent coat(s).

For my time block planning purposes in 70F ambient temps, can you advise an approximate amount of time that it takes for mixed and spread West epoxy to become "firm." My full cure times appear to be in the 10 - 15 hour range that West states.

I am trying to determine if this is a weekday evening job or an all day weekend job with diversions to other work while the epoxy sets up.

Thanks again for being such a valuable resource on this forum.

Larry Tompkins
544WB RV-6AW52 Battle Ground WA

For my time block planning purposes in 70F ambient temps, can you advise an approximate amount of time that it takes for mixed and spread West epoxy to become "firm." My full cure times appear to be in the 10 - 15 hour range that West states.

I dunno....an hour or two with 205 hardener, twice that with 206? It's not critical. Recoat any time after you can't wipe off the previous coat, but before it cures hard.

Having just done this on my wheelpants, I can say 90 minutes with 205 is about right. It was still tacky, but barely. From earlier experience I learned that if I was too impatient (who, me? :eek: ) the next coat wanted to go on really thick and uneven, which made for a lot more finish sanding. Thus making me pay for my impatience.

Edit: oh yeah, I should add that that was at about 75° F.

Thanks for your help

I will get started early tomorrow and work on getting the anti-submarine belt anchor brackets installed while I am (patiently :) ) waiting 90 - 120 minutes between coats.

Changing to 380/150 x 5 tires and the newer style wheel pants/gear leg fairings has been a really humbling experience. I can't believe how long it is taking me to get this accomplished. Once upon a time I believed that my shop skills were reasonably good- but I am really, really slow.

LarryT

Back