What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Low fuel pressure

Bryan Wood

Well Known Member
After putting the ego and pride aside, I thought I'd share this in case anybody else is having a similar problem. My fuel pressure has read low since the first startup on my carbed 0-320/van's fuel pressure gauge. The source of this problem has been staring me in the mirror for quite some time now. It was me that ordered and installed a sender/transducer for a fuel injected engine. The installed sender was a 0-50 psi range and the carburated version is 0-15 psi. With the new 15 psi sender the boost pump brought the reading on the guage up to just over 5psi for the first time. I've yet to fly and see what the engine driven fuel pump gives, but hopefully the days of the guage measuring low are over for good. Oops...

Bryan,
Don't be surprised if you have low fuel pressure after takeoff and with high power. My 0-360 has good pressure before take off and low in climb and cruise with or with out the boost pump. Throttle back and the pressure comes up. All the RV's on the field have the same problem and have chased that rabbit already.

Good luck.

1 psi isn't unusual for the eng. driven pump. At least that's what many of us get from time to time. WHERE you take off for the guage makes a BIG difference. As I recall, just after the pump is ideal, but remember that you are on the branch of the tee fitting, so the fuel is actually flowing PAST that orifice and can actually cause a slightly lower pressure area at the tee port where you are trying to read pressure. I seem to remember that .5 psi is all thats required to feed the Lycoming. Mine runs from 1 to 6, depending on just about everything in the universe.

Jeff

Back