What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B WiFi

Veetail88

Well Known Member
Maybe this has been discussed, but does anyone know if any of the EFIS manufacturers are developing any type of interface to the new batch of Wi-Fi based ADS-B recievers?

I see Sagetech has a new reciever called Clarity, Sky Radar has a line of them and of course there's the Sporty's offering.

It would be great to be able to throw weather and traffic up on my AFS 4500 screen with an $800 or $900 reciever vs. the $2,500 NavWorks in/out variety.

If I understand this, you need a transceiver to reliably trigger traffic. A cheaper receiver would still be good for weather. I just ordered a Navworx transceiver a couple days ago. They have a wi-fi option.

I could be wrong, but I can't forsee any EFIS vendors that would use a wifi device as an input. They can control and monitor the RS-232 and/or ARNIC feeds. There would be too many vairables outside of their control with wifi.

Wifi to your iPad, no problem, but not to your EFIS.

I also don't think you ever be able to get a full traffic picture with just a receiver due to how ADSB is defined. I think that once ADSB is propagated to more of the country, I suspect that transceiver prices will drop.

Maybe this has been discussed, but does anyone know if any of the EFIS manufacturers are developing any type of interface to the new batch of Wi-Fi based ADS-B recievers?

I see Sagetech has a new reciever called Clarity, Sky Radar has a line of them and of course there's the Sporty's offering.

It would be great to be able to throw weather and traffic up on my AFS 4500 screen with an $800 or $900 reciever vs. the $2,500 NavWorks in/out variety.

Ummm....wait a couple few weeks - that's all I have to say about that! :)

Cheers,
Stein

That's what I thought

Thanks Stein!

I was thinking most would be jumping on these.

I see the Sky Radar product has usb capability as well.

As I understand it, the FIS-B will give you weather, text data and whatever traffic data it can based on what is in the system, and not airplane to airplane. Also, with a reciever only, you wouldn't be reporting through the ADS-B functions.

Is is possible that the ground based radar systems could provide traffic data for the ADS-B uplink?

You mean that there is any other booth to be at first thing on Monday other than 3033.

Shirt and rumor control, what's a better to start the week

UM YEAH... how about 636! How about coming to see us at 8:00 then 3033 at 9:00? Remember at Stein they "are not happy until they have ALL of your money", so coming to see us second does not work out :D

-

Here's the deal with traffic:

If you get an ADS-B receiver only (SkyRadar, Stratus, Clarity when it ships) then you really don't have traffic over ADS-B. Period. In fact, Stratus doesn't even try and pass traffic up to the iPad because they believe it to be unreliable at best and dangerous at worst.

The reason for this is the ADS-B ground stations don't pass traffic up to you unless you are broadcasting your position. Now, ADS-B is a broadcast, so you can hear any traffic that is transmitted, but the traffic sent out is only for things near the airplanes it knows about. So you might see 4 planes 14 miles ahead of you and think that you have good traffic coverage, but the reality is that the ground station is sending out traffic only for those planes far away and the airplane 1/2 mile away from you isn't being sent at all.

You can theoretically hear other ADS-B out planes, but only on the UAT frequency, not MODE-S transponders. Which is like 100 planes in all of the USA.

The world changes if you are transmitting your position in an ADS-B compliant way. With a certified UAT transmitter or a certified MODE-S + ES transponder, then the ground station knows you are there and gives you the most complete traffic picture it can.

In many cases, the ADS-B ground station will have access to non-ADS-B planes (the mode C guys) and will include that data in traffic it sends to you.

FIS-B is basically weather and TFR's, and that's broadcast all the time to all planes, even if you aren't transmitting. It includes no traffic data at all.

--Ian Jordan
Dynon Avionics

I have the Monroy Traffic-Watch+ unit connected to my G430 and can detect plane to plane traffic all around in the US and in the Bahamas and it only cost me $1100. What would be the advantage of these new ADS-B units over what I have?

Weather

Pepe,

The primary advantage to the ADS-B products being discussed here is free in cockpit weather. Any traffic is apparently just an extra in this scenario, and apparently not very good for it either.

Ian, thanks for the clarification.

I'll keep my eyes open at OSH.

Pepe,

The primary advantage to the ADS-B products being discussed here is free in cockpit weather. Any traffic is apparently just an extra in this scenario, and apparently not very good for it either.

I guess for me there is no advantage since half of my flights are over the Bahamas where I get good XM\WX coverage even before engine start.

One thing I don't like about ADS-B is that you have to be airborne and in coverage area to know if it works or not. With my configuration I can check GPS, XM\WX and traffic during run up giving me assurance for the flight ahead.

Here's the deal with traffic:

Now, ADS-B is a broadcast, so you can hear any traffic that is transmitted, but the traffic sent out is only for things near the airplanes it knows about. So you might see 4 planes 14 miles ahead of you and think that you have good traffic coverage, but the reality is that the ground station is sending out traffic only for those planes far away and the airplane 1/2 mile away from you isn't being sent at all.

--Ian Jordan
Dynon Avionics

Excellent warning Ian, thanks. I can see where this could be a dangerous situation even if you have ADS-B out but not been in the ground station coverage.

One additional warning

These fish finders are only good IF the aircraft has a transponder.

There are a lot out there without transponders that you will only see by looking out the windows.

Just ask anyone flying behind a C-65.

In many situations ADS-B can send you any traffic that has a radar return, even if not transponder equipped. The ground stations do have access to the primary radar if you are in a coverage volume.

The passive devices like the Monroy and Zaon can't do that since they rely on the RF energy from the transponder to make their estimates.

--Ian

In many situations ADS-B can send you any traffic that has a radar return, even if not transponder equipped. The ground stations do have access to the primary radar if you are in a coverage volume.

The passive devices like the Monroy and Zaon can't do that since they rely on the RF energy from the transponder to make their estimates.

--Ian

I don't know to what extent the ADS-B ground station will report non-transponder equipped traffic since the whole objective of NextGen is to replace primary and secondary radars with ADS-B and multilateration equipment. The other issue is that non-transponder traffic has no altitude data, how would you take an evasive action?

Besides the passive devices all TCAS systems and ADS-B-in do also require the traffic to be transponder equipped.

Pepe

The other issue is that non-transponder traffic has no altitude data, how would you take an evasive action?
Maybe by not flying over the same dot on your GPS map that the unidentified traffic is flying through?

I suspect most of the time you're going to use this to identify where traffic is, and then pick them out visually anyway... Generally you'll want the "other spots" to be off to one side of you so you can find them. Even if you do have altitude info.

Back