What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying into the US from Canada

rv8bldr

Well Known Member
Hi folks

A question for of you who have done it before. I'm heading to Osh with my -8 for the first time was wondering what the "gotcha's" are. I have my decal from the US customs, I'm going to file a VFR flight plan from home (CYRP) to Sault Ste Marie, MI (ANJ), and I will have all my paperwork. Is there anything special I have to do during flight planning, or in flight, to avoid getting shot down by an F-16 ? ;)

Any pointers, anecdotes, tips, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mark
It is quite simple. Call US customs at least two hours before arrival. Have $25US for the purchase of the US decal. File a flight plan and get a discrete transponder code before you cross the border. I believe Mode C is required.
A passport is a good idea, and do not take any fresh fruit, or vegetables with you.

Tom Martin
F1 EVO

The requirement is not only for the discrete transponder code, but to be "in contact" with ATC during the border crossing. It's thus a good idea to just have, if possible, flight following with ATC for the entire flight. ATC in this case can be taken to include tower. You Canadians are used to VFR flight plans, but don't forget to close it. My wife and I cross Canadian airspace quite frequently and used to fly back and forth between Detroit and Windsor or Leamington. It's no biggy. The one thing that always frustrates me is that ATC usually has no information about your VFR flight plan. You just call them, tell them you are on an active VFR flight plan, ask for the squawk code, stay on the frequency and decline if they try to terminate your radar service before you cross the border. Enjoy the trip.
h

pierre smith said:
Just be sure they're all eaten by your arrival......... :D

And since your coming from Canada, better be careful to get rid of all the pot too. :D

Kevin, if you are not a member of COPA, you should consider joining.

They have a complete cross-border guide that is invaluable (both ways).
For example... do you have the amateur-built waiver form from the FAA that will allow you to fly in the US?

I attended a seminar on cross-border flying... there is a lot to know. One guy had his airplane seized because his passenger was once arrested 20 years ago.

www.copanational.org

BTW for our American friends, this the original 'COPA', similar to the US 'AOPA', not the Cirrus organization of the same name (now what marketing genius decidied it would be a good idea to take same name.....?).

Vern Little
RV-9A C-FVRL

paperwork

VFR flight plan, ATC, squawk code.
Paperwork. They will definitely check every single item of paperwork. Make sure you have all of it.
Be cordial.
And for Pete's sake, don't wave your arms wildly while screaming in a foreign language... that would be a major faux pas. :D

Radio licenses?

redbeardmark said:
VFR flight plan, ATC, squawk code.
Paperwork. They will definitely check every single item of paperwork. Make sure you have all of it.
Has anyone ever been checked for radio licenses? As I understand it, neither Canadians or Americans need radio station or radio operators licenses to fly inside their own country, but both licenses are required if you fly outside your own country.

paperwork

I have crossed the border many times and the only paperwork that I have been asked for, a couple of times, is the aircraft registration. When I mentioned in a previous post that you had to have a discrete transponder code I thought that people would know that meant you were on a frequency with a controller. This has been a change over a few years ago. Just call Toronto Centre, Mark, when you are north of Toronto to get you code and they will pass you off to their US counterpart when you cross the border.
The US border people are courteous but serious in what they do. The questions they ask are no differnet than the questions that are asked when you drive a car over the border.

Tom Martin
EVO1

Thanks for all the help, guys. I had forgotten about that homebuilt waiver thing. And I had alo forgotten to check the COPA web site.

See (some of) you at Osh !

Border crossing

Hi all.....last year while enroute to OSH from Saskatoon , I was planning to clear customs at Minot. I did everything listed above, got discreet transponder code, notified customs etc.,etc. When I was about 40 miles from MOT the field went IFR due to a wall of heavy rain......Oh oh! what now.....well I did have an alternate plan just in case ....a diversion to Internatinal Peace Gardens, so plugged the identifier into GPS (incidently it is called Dunseth in the US airport book) and flew there.....I was worried what was awaiting me when I landed as they did not expect me as there is no radio communications there.....There was talk on the forums of hefty fines, etc. for guys who don't call ahead. Well to make a long story short I landed, called them on the published ground frequency and was told to "bring your paperwork and walk down to the customs office" where I patiently waited my turn in line (it is a vehicle portal also). As was mentioned they were thorough and went through ALL of my paperwork. They were very pleasant and courtious when they saw that I had everything in a binder and in order........All told I was on the ground for about an hour and a quarter and a third of that was waiting in line......all in all a very positive experience.
They did send an officer back to go through the plane also which I was not too keen on (opening/closing an RV-4 canopy)and asked if I could accompany him....."NOPE, just wait right here " was the reply...........

Moral of the story: Have everything in order and you will have no problems... :)

Great reading: ADCUS, Port entry, Fees, overtime, ETA, proper notification methods

rv8bldr said:
forgotten to check the COPA web site.
Check this out:

http://www.iaopa.org/proc/regs.html

This has lots of good concise info and many of the gotchas'.

You have to call them and there are no excuses:

A 24-hour national emergency number is available in the event you cannot reach Customs at your intended airport of arrival; dial 800/973-2867

Normal (free) entry is from 8am to 5pm local

Customs telephone numbers:
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/

here is a publication that will help:
http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov.../travel/private_flyers.ctt/private_flyers.doc

If the link does not work just go to the US customs boarder patrol web site and search publications or try a search on "GUIDE FOR PRIVATE FLYERS"

Here is the rub, as I recall it, don't rely on ADCUS (add-cuss) or advise customs on the remarks section of you flight plan. It may work, should work but if you are not proactive and they are not notified it is a mess. I personally always call the port of entry with ETA within a 2 hours. That way if there is a SNAFU I have the name and time of the person I talked to. Before cell phones and international calling cards where popular calling was a pain. Also 1-800 numbers may not work out of the country, as I recall. So just keep that in mind.

Do your home work and call the port of entry an ask them if you have a question on what's required. You can get forms on-line and have them filled out ahead of time. Obviously all the normal precautions should be followed, passport, ID and aircraft paper work. They are cool, but they can make you take everything out of the plane and look through it. Don't give them a reason to do this (see the guide I mentioned). Last advice. If you get to a port of entry and there is no customs official to greet you don't get out or let your passengers get out and wounder around. It's not hard and straight forward, but if you don't play by the rules it can get ugly. I have heard horror stories. I never had a problem flying across the US Canadian border many times, but I have had a few miss advanced notice issues, thus my rule of calling myself. Things may have changed since I last flew out of the country in a private plane, but one thing I am 100% sure is it's the PILOTS responsibility to give advance notice and there are no excuses.

Last edited:
Hi folks

I sent my TSA waiver question to the EAA, and got a great response from Randy Hansen, EAA Government Relations Director. I won't repeat the message here (email me if you want a copy -> rv8bldr at gmail.com), but here is the paraphrased gist of it:

Bottom line, if your aircraft is of Canadian registry, you have a Canadian pilots certificate/license, you are on a VFR flight plan, in comunication with the appropriate agencies in flight, and your aircraft has a operational transponder then no TSA waiver is required.

Woo hoo ! Less paperwork.

Thanks again, everyone,

About that 5K fine..

I know an American who got rattled and violated some regs coming home. They were going to fine him and more. Eventually it got negotiated down to something quite reasonable or nothing at all (memory uncertain). I would not count on that and you probably won't need that knowledge. But, it can't hurt to know it.
h

Wow - what a hassle

Man, I guess I'm going to stop moaning about having to call French customs an hour in advance when I fly internationally out of Switzerland. I thought that was a hassle. Never mind that I've never actually even seen a customs person, and our touch and go practice airport is across the border in France.

Flying into France is free, but coming back the Swiss hit me up for about $14 "customs fee", even though there is no customs guy there. Just fill out a form, and leave your money with the FBO.

Radio licenses

Kevin Horton: Has anyone ever been checked for radio licenses? As I understand it, neither Canadians or Americans need radio station or radio operators licenses to fly inside their own country, but both licenses are required if you fly outside your own country.[/COLOR]Radio station and operators licenses are NOT required between the US and Canada.

I bit of advise... When crossing the border AND before landing, ask ATC if they have your flight plan. A couple years ago the FAA tried to violate me for not having a flight plan when I landed at Dorval. Canadian ATC never said a word to me. Tapes finally proved I had the

flight plan but for some reason it was never forwarded to Dorval. Aparently, this is a common problem from NY FSS!

Scott A. Jordan
N733JJ

Back