What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

San Diego on 4th July

JanRV6UK

Well Known Member
Hi,

I will be in San Diego from the 3rd to the 5th of July on business. With 4th July been in the middle - Can anyone suggest something worth seeing / doing that would be RV / flying related ? I am building a RV6 back in England and have been over here in US for some weeks now in relation with my job. Also had a great time flying with my son who got his pilots license when he was studying at UT in Austin. But that is a different story.

Have a good weekend

Jan Slow Norwegian RV6 builder living in England ....

4th of July Fireworks on the Bay

Check for current info, but they used to do a great fireworks show on the bay in front of downtown. Best seen from a boat or on the shore. Saw it years ago from the bay side of Coronado and from a boat another time...

If you are looking for RVs

There was an EAA Chapter based at Brown Field and I have seen RVs flying there as I cleared Customs. I read in this forum of one RV-6A based at Gilliespie. To see the largest concentration of RVs in that part of the country you would have to go a considerable distance north to Chino. None of them are tied down outside and access is often a problem but on a holiday like the 4th of July you may see some flying.

Bob Axsom

If you were considering a whirlwind prop you might try to schedule a visit there. Its a little far down the road for my build but given your locale it might be worth a try. I'd even go along but I have to work on the 3rd.

Thanks for the information !

- I have meetings in the afternoon on the 3rd and on the 5th - So its the 4th that I have free to look around. San Diego to Chino looks to be a 2 hour drive (111miles inland). That is easily doable. I have not been to that part of CA so the drive might be interesting as well. I would expect the Whirlwind prop factory to be closed. Both museums looks interesting as well. Will see what other suggestions turn up between now on the then ! At least I will not be looking at 4 walls in a hotel room :)

Back