What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

XM Receiver/P-Mag Interference...Solved!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
One small funny that we have been working on behind the scenes with ?Tsam? (our RV-3B) has been a low signal strength with the XM receiver whenever the P-Mags are on. Since this isn?t a glider, that pretty much means anytime we?re in flight. The effect has been that weather is sometimes just a little delayed, but more importantly ?Car Talk? is almost impossible to listen to! Tom and Ray are barely coherent when you can hear every word ? having the signal drop out a few times a minutes really leaves you guessing! I am used to the XM music cutting out when I get inverted in a series of aerobatics, but it was pretty annoying to have the drop-outs in straight and level flight.

We went though all the usual electronic troubleshooting, turning circuits on and off on the ground and in the air to isolate the problem. The only thing that made a difference was switching off the P-Mags, so this pretty much nailed the culprit. With the help of the folks at Garmin, we tried a different antenna, different antenna locations, and even a different receiver (built in to the GDU 375 display unit). Nothing made a difference. Brad at P-Mags has been very supportive, but there was little he could do, except ti make sure that we had good connections at all ignition lead ends. I was about ready to start looking into isolating power leads when someone (I think it was Pete Howell), mentioned a similar P-Mag interference problem that was related to a bad connection at the spark plug. He mentioned that the tip on the BR8-ES auto plug may have been loose, and that got me thinking?.

When I installed the initial set of plugs in Tsam before first flight, I happened to have a box of the removable-tip BR8-ES?s on hand, and none of the local auto parts stores had the solid-tip version on hand. I nicked the threads on the plug to keep the screw-on tips secure, and figured I?d change them when I had a chance. Nothing has seemed or felt loose during Phase 1 and up to this point, but since I have now laid in a large supply of the solid tip plugs, I decided to change them out when I got back from my Minnesota trip ? I was doing an oil change anyway.

Lo and behold ? Louise reported that in her 20+ hours of flying out to California and back, she hadn?t noticed any drop-puts at all! I did some local flying this past week, and have only lost signal when upside-down (which, with this airplane, is about half the time I am in the air ? it?s just that much fun!). I have had no problems at all with the 696/XM on the Valkyrie since we installed P-Mags earlier this year ? but I put the solid-tip plugs in the from the start. So I am ready to declare victory on this little problem, and wanted to let folks know that the screw-tip BR8-ES?s might be a place to look if you are getting RFI from your P-Mags. The solid-tips are just a better way to go for several reasons, and this just adds to the list.

Paul

That just seems to defy rational thought-----unless the screw on tip was loose??

I wonder if there is anything else going on with the plug internally??

Have you tried to measure if there is any resistance between the tip and the shank?

Glad you got it figured out.

You posted the number of the screw tip plugs, what is the number of the plugs you installed that fixed the problem, some folks may want to know.

Good to know the root cause Paul. I am glad you found it.

Also glad I was able to find and use the non-removable version of the plugs from the start. Never had an issue with the P-mag and the XM but if I ever start having em, I will look at the plugs, wires and connections first!

I would be hesitant to blame the ends of the plugs...it could be the removal of the boots and reseating them on a new plug could have been the difference.

All good comments guys - I know this is a bit of a stretch, but it was Pete who mentioned that they solved the problem by going with solid-tip plugs. Bob has the obvious question - were the wires seated properly to begin with - and yes, I had checked that numerous times. It is possible, of course, that we have a cap that is finicky, and sometimes goes on correctly, other times doesn't. My guess is that one of the screw-on plug tips just had some sort of small "rattle" that caused a varying electrical property.

On the part numbers - Quoting from a post awhile back by John Bixby "NGK has two different p/n's for their BR8ES plugs, 3961 and 5422. 3961 has the fixed terminal nut while the 5422 is removable...." I got a big box of 3961's from Rockauto.com - they were about a buck cheaper per plug than anyone else.

As for loaning Tsam to Pete.... I have to get her back from Louise first! (They're off again on another cross-country for a few days....)

Paul

I have found that dry boots on automotive style plugs eventually start generating radio noise. Using a small amount of dielectric grease on clean boots when installing them seems to keep this from happening.

Last edited:
Happy for you

Paul, I am glad that your XM problem appears to be solved.

Since we communicated last time about my XM problem, I am no closer to making it work.
I loose my signal in the middle of a flight for no apparent reason and it won't come back on until the next flight, sometimes and sometimes not for a couple of flights. Sometimes it will stay on for the entire flight, even 2 flights in a row.
I loose the signal completely and the Garmin 696 shows, no service.
The antenna is on the glare shield after it was inside the cowl but no difference in behavior. For a while I thought it was heat but yesterday I flew up to Auburn in 100F and it stayed on for the flight up and back.
Anybody with any ideas would be much appreciated.
Hope I am not budding in with my problem but since yours has been solved
I might get some ideas to help solve mine.

Back