What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerobatics

newt

Well Known Member
Got my signoff today.

aeros.jpg

So I guess now the real training begins :)

I did the endorsement in a Super Decathlon - 180HP, CS prop, inverted oil and fuel. My RV-6 has a fixed pitch Sensenich on the end of a 160HP engine without inverted oil and fuel, so there'll be some differences.

In particular, the CS prop on the Decath means I've never needed to manage engine RPM. And inverted fuel/oil means the noise has never stopped. Expecting differences in both of those areas in the -6.

I'm going to take the instructor for a ride in the RV in another week or two, but if anyone has any tips on what to expect I'd appreciate it.

- mark

Indeed. The key is to cross old items off the bucket list faster than new items are found to add to it :)

I think the next endorsement I'll chase is night VFR, which is a separate rating in Australia, not taught as part of the PPL. Not because I have a burning desire to fly cross country at night (I don't, at least not in a single engine aircraft), but just to mitigate against that little bit of deadline pressure about getting home before last light.

- mark

In particular, the CS prop on the Decath means I've never needed to manage engine RPM. And inverted fuel/oil means the noise has never stopped. Expecting differences in both of those areas in the -6.

I would be interested in hearing the differences between the two.

Mark,

Would suggest you contact Dave Foord, the auto pilot man in your area, used to compete in a FP six and I'm sure would give you some tips.

Regards Peter

That's a top idea. I suspect I'll need to look him up soonish anyway to get my transponder calibrated, kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks!

- mark

Article on Aerobatic test flying an RV-6

Mark,
Congratulatins to your aerobatic licence,
I recommend an article published in the May 2008 issue of the UK flying magazine PILOT. It features aerobatic flight testing of a UK registered RV-6.
This RV was neither equipped with inverted fuel nor with inverted oil.
Interesting technical statements as well in this story.

Tell me if you want me to email you a scanned pdf copy.

Cheers

Andreas
RV-6, bought flying

UK article

I would be interested in a copy of the article also. Also interested in unusual/spin/mild acro refresher training in the Oklahoma or surrounding area.

G'day Mark,

Like you I'd did my aerobatic endorsement in a Super-D. My RV-7 is similar to your 6 in that it has a fixed pitch prop and no inverted system. To be blunt, it is a non-event as far as RPM management goes. When doing a maneuver such as a loop or barrel roll etc, I just dive to 160kts and set the RPM to 2600. Fly the maneuver and as long as you stay below 160kts in the recovery, you won't go past 2600. No need to touch the throttle and G as required.

The RV rolls much nicer and faster than the super-d. You will have no trouble transitioning to the RV. I have never even come close to over speeding or over revving on the back of a loop or barrel roll etc. The main difference between the Super-D and the RV is in the spin. The RV spin is exciting! when compared with the Decathlon :) Rolls off the top are a breeze but I have to keep a little back stick in when commencing the roll so you end up barreling the roll and a few degrees off heading in the recovery. Split-S are easy, keep it below 80kts entry. I don't do stall turns.

Disclaimer: I am a weekend gentlemans aerobatic pilot, not an instructor or comp pilot. No doubt there will be some people here who can give better specific advice.

Have fun,

Mark.

Last edited:
Back