What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tucson area (RYN) troubleshoot help

acroflyrgirl

Well Known Member
Anyone in the area who might be able to help me troubleshoot my intermittent Elevator trim problem?

I have a stick mounted 4 way hat switch. The aileron trim works perfectly, the elevator trim is intermittent.

Thanks

Cathy

Trim question...

Cathy, if you have the Ray Allen Co. (RAC) trim system, and have installed one of the older -1 trim relays, I suspect that you'll need to swap that out for a -2 relay (RAC will possibly give you a discount on the new one). The older (about the size of a domino) relays did trend to fail. I'd been putting off swapping the relay for some time and finally I swapped the -1 relay for a -2. Problem solved.

Jim

I do believe you've hit the nail on the head. Thanks. I'll take a look tomorrow at it and order an updated relay deck from Van's.

Ohh, my first Van's order since I bought the plane...yay!

I found the relay deck, it is the REL 2. I ordered a new one and hope it solves the issue. I went to the servo under the elev too and took a look around. Everything seems fine and connected properly.

I wonder if putting a multi meter on the relay and the coolie hat switch will tell me anything. I have a multi meter, maybe someone tomorrow will know how to use it better than me. It took me 10 min just to figure out how to correctly check the bat voltage on my little rechargable AA's the other day.

Maybe me and voltage don't mix.

Back