What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How many lay-ups?

Auburntsts

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of making some FG ducting in my overhead console to distribute air from a NACA vent to eyeball vents in the console. I've already made some male molds for the parts, but I really don't know how many lay-ups to do (using 8.8 oz cloth) -- I'm thinking 2 should be sufficent, not too heavy and stong enough to do the job. But I want to get this right as the ducting won't be accessable once the console is installed. Thoughts?

Air Duct Layups

Two should be fine; you could even go with a lighter cloth for much of this application with the heavier cloth used for the air inlet/outlet portions of the duct.

Not sure how you plan to attach the duct, but extra layups may be a good idea at select locations to spread the load for any fasteners. 1" wide cloth/tape or a slight build up of epoxy/flox work well if you need to strengthen a small area.

Best,
Mike

Thanks for the input Mike. 8.8 is what I have on-hand so it will have to do under the "perfection is the enemy of good enough" philosophy. At this point, after almost 6 years of building, I just want to get'r done.

As for attachement, the ducting will have flanges and I plan on glassing it in since there's no practical way to remove them once the console is installed -- IOW they will become permanent parts of the console.

One layer

With 8oz cloth, 1 layer will be enough. It will take a fair amount of epoxy to completely fill the weave.

T.

Back