What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painted Surface "Smudging" from Aluminum

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
So I recently finished painting my canopy interior with Sherwin Williams Jetflex WR. I used their 2 part epoxy primer and then the WR colored paint. I used their FLAT paint style rather than a glossy finish. It's been about a week now. I know the paint takes a few weeks to get to a full cure, but I dont think that is a factor with my issue.

When I placed a piece of aluminum on my painted surface - in this case an inspection cover for the overhead console from Aerosport Products. The overhead has been painted, the inspection panel as not been painted yet. If I move the aluminum panel around, it leaves a darkish color "smhere" on the paint. It doesn't rub off, but if I use some isopropyl alcohol it wipes off easily. I've cleaned the aluminun with the alcohol as well thinking it was dirty, but it still does it.

The smhering isn't scuffing the surface or scratch it, just smudges some dark color. Any idea what is causing this?

Back