What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pro pilot

houndsfour

Just wondering if any one has any experence with the Trio Pro Pilot?
I,m thinking about puting it in my "6" TG.
Rich

Me too...

I'm considering maybe upgrading to Pro Pilot from the EZ pilot for the gps steering. I REALLY like the EZ & am wondering if it is worth it??? The EZ intercepts & tracks course really well; is very easy to deviate around something. Will climb to & hold altitude wonderfully. Sure does make x-country even more enjoyable.

Sorry I'm not able to answer your question Rich; but I certainly understand your interest in it. It surely appears to be very capable & the EZ has proven to be so sweet... I don't know ... I'm going to keep my eye on this thread. Thanks for asking.

Cheers,

If you do a search, you will find many complimentary postings on the Trio series of autopilots, and the top-notch customer service they provide. Add me to the list of new purchasers.

I will be installing a Pro Pilot in my -6 in May. :)

I had the TT Digiflight II VSGV in my RV7 and currently have the Pro Pilot in my RV4. There are some advantages to the Pro Pilot and like the display better. They both work about the same in flight. For the price difference if GPSS and GPSV is what you desire the Pro Pilot is a great choice. You can pretty much fly the plane with the Pro Pilot alone.

You can't go wrong

You can't go wrong with Trio products. They work as advertised, have terrific support and are relatively simple to install. I replaced 2 Navaid units with the drop-in wing leveler/gps tracker and on the latest plane installed the seperate alt hold. As I stated, they work perfectly as advertised.

I have a Pro Pilot in my RV-10 with GPSS and GPSV. With my GNS 430W it will fly a coupled ILS. Using my GRT HX it follows the flight plan and any altitude/vs I command on the HX.
Service & support are great.

John

I also have the Pro Pilot in my RV-10, and like it a lot.
One small correction to John's post: both the Trio and the TruTrak (if purchased with the GPSS/GPS options) will fly a GPS LPV approach if connected to a WAAS box like a G-430w or G-420w. But both need to be connected to an EFIS like the GRT Horizon to follow an ILS.
I have also instructed in a -10 with a TruTrak. It also works fine.
Pluses for the Trio:
1. I think it is easier to understand what mode the Trio is in, and what button to push to do what, because it has a larger display, with more buttons, lights, etc to enunciate exactly what it's doing. Down side is it occupies more panel space.
2. I really like the Trio's trim option. Not only does it auto-trim when the autopilot is in control, I use it when hand-flying the airplane with the autopilot on but disengaged. The trim speed varies inversely with airspeed, so at cruise it is easy to make fine adjustments. I don't think the TT can be used in a manual mode like this.

Thanks for all your in put guys. I have the EZ Pilot now and I should be receiving the Pro Pilot on Monday. I have the EZ control head up for sale now. I don't think I'll be rebuilding my panel to install any type of EFIS system any time soo. So the Pro Pilot will be my go to helper on my X country flying. All of my flying is VFR and the wife says I'm too damm old to learn all the new stuff anyway.
Thanks again
Rich
RV6 721ET

Back