What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

looking for float installation info

Iwantwings

I'm New Here
does anyone know where I might be able to get drawings for the fittings or purchase the floats that were on Eustaces RV-6 if they are out there. my fuselage is at the stage where I need to install any float fittings (I'm in Alaska and have lakefront cabin so thinking about the amphib set-up as an option to just wheels). Sorry this is a bit untimely since Eustace has passed on, but I would sure like to look into this a bit more

thanks, marc

I don't know much of the details as far as exactly what Eustace had done but I do know the basics of the mounting on the fuselage. Since his airplane was an RV-6 he used the main gear sockets on the engine mount as the fwd float attach points (logical since it was already designed for landing gear loads. The rear attach points were the bolted joint between the wing aft spars and the F-606 (???) fuselage bulkhead, but I no nothing of the details of how this connection was made.

Over the years some builders have wanted to be able to put floats on an RV-6A or RV-9A. They have had ordered special engine mounts that had the socket for the "A" model nose gear leg, and the two sockets for the conventional gear main legs all in one engine mount.

Hope this helps

More Power To You

Hi Marc,

I believe Eustace worked with Czech Aircraft Works, http://www.airplane.cz/ or so he told me when I asked. You could try http://www.westernaviation.bc.ca/float.html, they look like the same advertisement, and the may have a bit of knowledge about Eustace. I live by a lake myself, but after a bit of research I decided I could not afford the additional cost. In addition to the custom mount from vans, it is advisable to have a large engine and a constant speed prop. Then do not forget the primer thing if you plan on spending a lot of time splashing in the water. Also if you plan on having insurance, the cost would be at least double.

Having said all that, I hope you do it!

Cheers
Warren
RV-9A
O-235-C
Most things started, not much finished
AHYUP

Back