What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

installing longer flap handle

freegespeed

Well Iv'e been mulling over a summer project to do on my 6A, and after a bit of thought I've decided to do something about my semi-strenuous manual flap mechanism.

I was up at the Golden West fly-in last week and I found out that my flap handle had been cut down a bit by the builder. This bit of insight started me thinking about the forces of pull between a normal RV6 flap handle, and a forshortened one.

The builder must have weighed the different consequences of this mod and decided that the reduced size meant more comfort in the cockpit.

What I'm asking is has anyone felt the difference between the arm of the effort of a shortened flap handle by 25% vs a standared by the plans manual flap bar? I'm currious if there is enough of a difference in pull force to justify the return to a standared size bar.

I've already mulled over electric flaps, and that idea sounds appealing, but my budget is set for saving for a wing leveler of some kind right now.

I can easily use my current flap set up, but getting an easier motion on the flap bar would keep me more focused on the stick,rudder, and throttle during final approach to land.

Any help would be appreciated.

I shortened my flap handle when I built. I have flown with both full length and shortened. Yes the flaps do require a little more force but not that much. If you get speed down to 80 before pulling 40 degrees, it's not so hard. Remember the 100 mph flap speed is for full flaps. You can pull up to 20 degrees at 110 mph. I have notches at 14, 28, and 40 degrees. Onec I pull 14 degrees at 110, that helps me slow down to 80 for the other 2 notches.

Back