What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lightspeed Question

campi

Well Known Member
An RV-6 that I'm looking at has a magneto on one side, and a Lightspeed on the other. I am not familiar at all with this type of ignition. The owner explained that it has the accesory case hall effect module, which I guess takes the readings from the back of the case. It was installed in 2005, so I assume it was a Plasma II?

In any event, my question is about maintenance. What if anything needs to be done with these systems during the condition/inspection? In other words, do I need anything special to adjust/time these systems?

Anything else anyone can point out that I should look at during the pre-buy would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Fernando

Hi Fernando.

My -10 has the same setup and the Lightspeed performs beautifully!

That said, however, check the crimped wire ends where they slide onto the male spade connectors at each coil. Mine were loose and one wire backed out because they're not soldered, so I was running on 5 cylinders during the mag/ignition check. Solder all the ends or get someone to do it for you.

Best,

Thanks

Pierre,

I will make sure to have that checked. Thank you.

Walt, thank you also for the link. I sometimes forget google is my friend, particularly for things that I know folks here are very knowledgable about.

Regards,

Fernando

We only become knowledgable on these things because us "maintenance types" take the time to read the manuals, we are not born with this knowlege :D

If you are going to maintain your own aircraft, you MUST be willing to dig into the manuals and you MUST get some "on the job" training to be sure you are doing things correctly. You wouldn't try to teach yourself how to fly would you? Aircraft maintenance is no different.

Back