What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"smooth" the flush rivets

Dear guys,

first of all, I'm not an English mothertongue (I'm Italian), so please try to understand the following subject taking into consideration my poor tech vocabulary, especially on the painting subject.

Well, I own a wonderful flying RV-7 already painted, but not in the way I like: I think the workmanship was very poor, made by an auto painter (unfortunately not too many aeronautical paint facility here in Italy), so I'm going to repaint in a specific aircraft shop in september.

Now, I saw on others experimental aircraft that the rivets were "cancelled" during the paint process. In other worlds, during the sanding process and with some resin products, the surface is being smoothed in a way that you cannot spot anymore the rivets; the appearance of the metallic surface seems like composite. Since I cannot see on the photos on the internet the experience of the others, I would like to ask:

a) Is there somebody who made a similar work on his aircraft?
b) Is is a professional way or is better to leave the rivets "visible"?
c) Will the resin probably "scratch" or "crack" around the rivets, expecially on aircraft like my RV-7 that I sometimes use for mild aerobatics?

Any help on this subject is really appreciated, especially from people who have painted throw/with professional painting shops.

Thanks
Luigi
[email protected]

No!

Hi Luigi,
We just painted our new RV6A and all the rivets are visible too. If you "fill" the rivets, not only will you add a lot of weight, you also run a risk of cracking around the rivet heads too. Lighter weight increases performance and economy too,
Kind regards,

As has been said before, "If you don't want to see rivets, then build (or buy) a plastic airplane."

Tracy.

Don't fill

Luigi,

Little benefit to filling flush rivets. Lot's of weight, time and expense for little gain. Some rivets are not perfectly flush, so you would have to grind them down, thus reducing strength. Filler cracks too. A good aviation grade paint job with Imron, Jet Glow or equivalent will make those rivets all but disappear anyway! (I used to paint professionally).

My grandfather came to America from Italy in 1904. What part of Italy do you live?

John

Avete un aeroplano del metallo

luigi_from_italy said:
.... I'm not an English mothertongue (I'm Italian), so please try to understand the following subject taking into consideration my poor tech vocabulary, especially on the painting subject...... so I'm going to repaint in a specific aircraft shop in september.....Now, I saw on others experimental aircraft that the rivets were "cancelled" during the paint process. In other worlds, during the sanding process and with some resin products, the surface is being smoothed in a way that you cannot spot anymore the rivets; the appearance of the metallic surface seems like composite.......
Buon giorno Luigi,

For me, it is personally gratifying to know RV's are enjoying a worldwide following, especially its appeal and presence in Italy. All 4 of my (deceased) grandparents were from small towns surrounding Palermo, Sicily and immigrated to this country at the turn of the century. You know....the familiar image of immigrants seeking a better life in a new country.

Anyway, you might want to rethink your decision to hide those rivets under a superficial veneer of composite gloss when you repaint. Interestingly, when being judged in competition, the judges often view such measures with suspicion and tend to silently ask themselves "Che cosa ? il proprietario che prova a nascondersi?" (What is the owner trying to hide?) Besides, as has been mentioned...you are flying a popular metal airplane and a quality paint application will for the most part obscure the rivets and at the same time enhance its overall look. Il pi? bene di fortuna. Arrivederci! ;)

Last edited:
To all the guys who answered

First of all, thanks to all for the great answers. By the way, tomorrow there is Italy vs USA, I know that soccer is not your most followed sport, but here the fever is very high, I wonder to all the half Italian/half American who will they support!

Well I come from the north part of Italy near Garda Lake (you can see it even on your standard Garmin map...), by the way Palermo is 2 1/2 flying with the great RV. And I have been near there last year.

Remember guys, Americans do the best aircraft in the world, just take the RV and find me something like that in the world... impossible. I live near SIAI Marchetti where they produce the SF260. Nice aircraft, but, boys, much slower and longer on landing/take off...

Another thing: I did my PPL in the US and I was astonished by the efficency of everything, including FAA.

Everytime you complain about FAA (sometimes on Flying), I would suggest you to come to try our FAA.... hope that I will be able to send you photos of Venice from my RV7.

Regarding painting, can you give me more info on the Jet Glo and Imron paint?
Thanks
Luigi

Lacquer putty

Back to your question.

One of our EAA chapter 19 members built a beautiful RV-8.

He used one small tube of lacquer putty to hide the rivots. I asked him about weight and he did not know the ounces of the tube, but said it could not have been much.

Most of the rivets were hidden, but some were still visible. It really looked good, but I have no plans to do it to mine.

Regards,
Mike Stephenson

Jet Glo is very good

I had my 1975 Cessna 150M painted in Jet Glo, brilliant white with metallic Las Vegas Gold stripe. It has been 5+ years. It's very good paint. I don't know if it's any better than Imron, but I'd use it again with no reservation. Good luck.
h

filling rivets

This seems to be a touchy subject among RV builders and I don't understand why. Yeah I know you pounded every rivet and you are proud of them, but if you finished your basement and pounded every nail yourself would you not fill the dimples?

Personally I am going to try hiding the rivets on the wings and tail because I like the look of smooth flying surfaces. I may leave them as is on the fuse. I couldn't care less what judges think because I am building this for me, not others.

Someone told me that they used smoothfill? I hope I got that correct. I will have to check my notes.

Antony

Back