What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is the Situation with LASAR ignition

Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
I bought my O-360-A1A through Van's from Lycoming. After I got the timing straightened out it worked very well until the non-sensor mag failed after ~400 hours I bought one from a fellow in California and no more problems. When I was going through my original timing problems I dealt with an excellent Unison Customer Service Engineer. Then later when the mag failed that excellent customer service engineer was no longer in the loop and I was told the company was bought by GE. Now I see a fellow is advertizing his sensor mag for sale because of the high price now demanded by Champion. I'm very satisfied with my system but I am curious about who owns it now and the future expectations of company support.

Bob Axsom

Bob, last word I had was to call 904-772-1909.

This is the most current number I have for Slick/Champion tech support.

This has been discussed here at VAF in the not too distant past, a search might dig up more info.

Good luck, and please post what you find out, as there are others in the LASAR boat with you.

Future support

Bob you raised a great subject. I too purchased the Lazar system with my TMX-0360 from Mattituck a few years back. Haven't flown yet but but I'm encouraged by stories of its performance by follow pilots who have them.:)
Also discouraged by the history of the products ever changing ownerships.:(
I've noticed the the price of the system and related components has sky-rocketed since its first introduction.
Received an interesting letter from Mattituck a week ago offering any spares I might need since they are no longer going to stock the parts since the prices are so high and they want to deplete their inventory.
I've even considered selling the the whole system since its basically new and going to something else before I need a controller in a few hundred hours. Supposedly the controllers are going the be priced over 5K for a new one.
Any experiences with the system and support would be appreciated although I'm affraid it might turn into one of those Love/Hate threads. :eek:

Since we're experimental persons.

The controller being over 5K sounds like certifiable cr*p to me. I'm not inclined to do it since I'm considering my own GPS Avionics and EMS system, but, couldn't somebody reverse engineer a controller that could be used as a stand in? It is after all just an ECC (and a fairly dumb one at that). Since we're experimental here we could fly a home built amateur electronics unit and leave the certified guys to pay the big bucks.

LASAR electronic ignition

I had a similar good experience with Unison after buying my Lasar. Champion now own the business. I now find myself needing to buy a timing setting unit. I eventually got in touch with Joe Logie at Champion (technical support manager of the Slick products). He does respond promptly but tells me that they do not deal directly with users. Told me to either deal with Spruce, Avail or Progressive Air. I have now been waiting for a month and Spruce expect stock at the end of May. A ten week wait. Significant. Progressive had a similar lead time. Whilst a great system I am am concerned about the long wait. The timing unit will set you back about $450 - somewhat more than the usual continuity tester!

When You Get It ...

I had a similar good experience with Unison after buying my Lasar. Champion now own the business. I now find myself needing to buy a timing setting unit. I eventually got in touch with Joe Logie at Champion (technical support manager of the Slick products). He does respond promptly but tells me that they do not deal directly with users. Told me to either deal with Spruce, Avail or Progressive Air. I have now been waiting for a month and Spruce expect stock at the end of May. A ten week wait. Significant. Progressive had a similar lead time. Whilst a great system I am am concerned about the long wait. The timing unit will set you back about $450 - somewhat more than the usual continuity tester!

Mike, when I bought my timing unit in 2004 through Van's (I guess they don't sell them any more) the cost was $370+ so the inflation can explain a lot of that difference but it is expensive. One word of caution read and follow the instructions precisely. One point that slipped by me in my first use of the box (and I think Lycoming had the same ~60 degree too far advanced timing) was the automatic interpretation of TDC as top dead center of the compression stroke of cylinder #1 (which it is related to) but the correct setting depends on a light on the box labeled TDC not the exact physical position of the piston. You have to get the piston in the right position on the proper stroke but from there, there is a lot of carefully changing position of the prop the required number of degrees in the right direction and observing the the physical position in conjunction with two lights on the box. Mine has worked great for 8 years. I run it as hard as possible in races and it is pretty fast. I have had an alternator failure in flight and it reverted to normal mag operation and I flew several hundred miles home with no problem. Mine is not the "Bush" model however and it cannot be hand proped. Back when I had the non-sensor mag failure and I was told GE had bought the company I asked the company representative if they were going to continue to support LASAR and she said there were no plans to discontinue it. I hope that continues but when I hear of the amazingly high prices I get concerned.

Bob Axsom

Lasar ignition

I have had excellent results from mine for nearly four years and about 260 hours. A happy user - but the prices are indeed as suspected. A magneto is about $2300, the controller about $3700, harnesses $380 - just for the basics.

LASAR timing unit

Mike,
I too was "put off" by the rising price of the T300 LASAR timing device. I found a reference (I think it was here on VAF) to Hanger Toolbox, a guy that rents aircraft tools out of Little Elm, TX. Last year I rented the T300 for $28. I called, he shipped the tool to me, took an hour to check/set the timing, and I shipped it back. Pretty painless. Since my LASAR controller "cooked itself", I won't be needing his service any longer.
Want to buy a spare sensor mag? ;)
Dave

I just had the non-sensor mag fail this morning

I am entered in a race in Taylor, Texas Saturday. I'm scrambling with Aircraft Spruce to see if the can locate one to ship me overnight - LONGSHOT. I have to do some checking but if your sensor mag works for me I'll take yous as a backup. The number doesn't seem right but I'm going to check it out.

Bob Axsom

Bob,

Did you really have a failure just a week after the post you made about support? That is just weird.

Anyway, I have the mag noted below (and a controller) sitting unused in my hangar. I'll take a picture tonight, as I'm heading up there in about an hour. It has been out of the plane about 9 months. My right magneto fried last June and I replaced the system with Pmags.

Left Mag: Slick LASAR 4771 S/N 99112198 Rev A, Rot L

Mine is a rev B but it probably will work

Do you want to sell it - if so how much? There are over 20 races scheduled this year and I was going to make a run for the top prize. Some spare hardware would help. Not starting well. ACS is having one drop shipped to me UPS Red and I have everything disassembled but it is going to be very difficult to pull it off for the race Saturday. Over 400 miles away the plane has no lights in race configuration and I don't have the mag yet - did I mention I am tired?

Bob Axsom

Over work, lack of sleep, and rushing a project do not a safe pilot make.

Be careful..........Please.

All the classic warning signs

Yeah I'm aware mike - not desirable for sure. I guess I should go back to bed for a while.

Bob Axsom

Bob, I'd be happy to sell the mag and/or controller, but I have little idea what they are really worth. An earlier post mentioned $2300 for a new magneto, but that is absurd. I'd only want some fair number we could agree on, and only if you really need it. Sounds like a discussion for next week perhaps, since Spruce already has one on the way to you. I'll PM my email and phone number.

Good luck, and as Mike says, be safe

09:45 not here yet

The tracking number was phoned to me by ACS this morning. It is out for delivery.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
It is in and works fine

Aircraft Spruce and LASAR came through for me big time! I finished gatting everything back together at 5 minutes after mid night. If the weather is OK I plan to leave for Taylor at dawn.

Bob Axsom

Back