What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Walter-LOM engines

Bitsko

I've been scratching my head about engines a bit. Lyc clones and Mistral are the current frontrunners. But the LOM engines look very interesting.

There is a LOM 4-banger running in Jim Ayers' RV-3. Anybody know how that experiment is going, long-term?

I'd love to hear any other (informed) opinions. Specifically, I'm wondering how much the long 6-cylinder versions would screw up the balance of an RV.

You can get a factory rebuilt 250 hp LOM with a constant-speed hydraulic prop for well under $30,000. That's a huge savings.....IF it can be used in an RV.

According to the info I can find, the dry weight of the IO-360A2 is 326 pounds. The LOM 250hp supercharged 6-cylinder weighs 337 pounds. Tons more power for an extra 11 pounds. An even better comparison would be the 6-cylinder Lyc, which weighs a LOT more than the LOM. It's not even close.

However, the LOM is an inline six. It is, therefore, "4 cylinders longer" than the Lycoming. Anybody thing it's doable? Anybody have any other LOM-related info or anecdotes?

Awww...nerts. Answered my own question. I called Moraviation, and the LOM factory isn't even building any engines right now....and probably won't for a year or so. Translation (from the gentleman's broken English): "We're going to disappear any day now. Don't be a fool."

Perhaps I need to go into the engine designing and manufacturing business my own self.

I also spoke with the factory a few days ago. I considered buying a Zlin and I was trying to find out if they were going to support their engines. They do indeed still overhaul their engines (at present) and a core can be had for almost nothing. They still produce parts, but not all. There is a strong group in the company pushing for production restart. The engine was never certified in U.S. because of poor translation, what a shame? This fact alone finished the product line after Zlin started shipping their aircraft with Lycoming engines.

It is still a state own company and it may get privatized soon. They have a lot of customers, mainly various air forces around the world, which bought Zlins with LOM engines. They got a lot of pressure to support their product. I like the engine a lot I flew behind it. Smooth, no worry about mixture control, very nice engine.

I think, your question is a good one. Let?s see if you get any follow up.

I'm still curious what y'all who have done weight-and-balance work think about the long, LONG LOMs. Slightly heavier than an IO-360, but a whopping 5 1/2 feet long. Would such a beast work in a -7a? They sound wonderful! Like an airplane SHOULD sound.

Used ones are around. There is even a new one on Ebay.

Bitsko said:
I'm still curious what y'all who have done weight-and-balance work think about the long, LONG LOMs. Slightly heavier than an IO-360, but a whopping 5 1/2 feet long. Would such a beast work in a -7a? They sound wonderful! Like an airplane SHOULD sound.

Used ones are around. There is even a new one on Ebay.
you can crunch the numbers on this yourself with an RV w&b worksheet. Just make the prop weigh about 250 lbs, since that's about where the center of mass would be for a LOM 6-cyl w/cs prop hanging on a dynafocal mount.

you'd have to ballast massively in the tail to stay within CG envelope, and you'd probably be up against gross weight, not to mention the handling issues. of course, the fuse isn't designed for having so much mass hanging out there, nor would the spar be rated at anything above "normal" (+3/-3g).

nothing smoother than an inline 6. nothing. (excluding turbine, of course) :cool:

Back