What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do I clean my MA-4-5 carb's screen?

kevinh

Well Known Member
Hi ya'll,

I'm getting ready for my first annual, and I have a noob question: How am I supposed to clean the inlet screen on my carb?

I've found this handbook, which has lots of good information - but no specifics on how to remove/replace the screen. From looking at the schematic, I guess:

• Remove fuel hose going to carb
  • Use a wrench to unscrew the fitting that the hose connected to.
  • Presumably the screen is behind this fitting, and I can just remove it with my fingers?
  • After cleaning, what is the appropriate treatment for reinstalling the inlet fitting? (fuel lube?) what torque?

No need to remove the fuel hose. The inlet strainer comes out from the opposite side. Bend down the tabs on the tabbed copper washer, remove the nut/finger screen. Inspect the screen and clean with a blast of carb cleaner or clean fuel and compressed air. Apply a small amount of fuel lube to the threads and re-install with new tabbed washer. Torque till tight (no idea what exact torque, but you're only dealing with around 4psi fuel pressure anyway so don't go gorilla on it). Bend down the washer tabs to safety the nut and you're done.

A&P mechanic

Kevin,

Hire an A&P mechanic for a couple of hours to help you (do) the engine inspection, especially if this is your first one. The FAA says you don't need one, but they never leave the ground, right! :) Lot's of little tricks to engine maintenance and repair that you don't learn while building the airframe.

John

You can reuse the tabbed copper washer by annealing. Heat it to red hot with a torch and drop it in water and voila, good as new.

sprucemoose said:
You can reuse the tabbed copper washer by annealing. Heat it to red hot with a torch and drop it in water and voila, good as new.

thanks - good to know

Back