What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to buy new EGT probes for VM1000?

Bastien

Well Known Member
Hi everyone,

A friend of mine, owner of a Van's RV4 had his VM1000 red anodized fins EGT probes failed one at a time during his first 250-300 hours on the plane. After sending multiple E-mail to Vision Microsystem to buy new probes and as he didn't get any answer, he wants to know if it is possible to purchase new EGT probes elsewhere that could be fit on the VM1000.

Which model have you chose to replace your failed probes (if you had some) and are you satisfied with the new ones lifespan?

Thanks

Thank you for your reply Al. It seems like a good warranty for EGT probes.

I've heard about type J or type K EGTs. I think on the VM1000, it is type K but I'm really not sure. I will ask my friend to e-mail ksavionics to have more informations on these probes to know if they fit the VM1000

Have a good day

E I probes

Hi

I had excellent service from Electronics international when I needed some new probes for my Dynon. They were happy to custom make them to the correct length etc.

Peter

vm-1000 probes

Just so you will know. JPI took over the vm-1000 line. They are now certified items so be ready for the price increase,but you can still get the items.Good luck

Thank you all :D. VAF is definitely a great forum to find answers that I would never find after hours of research on the internet.
I will tell my friend to e-mail Dan as he has some other questions about the VM1000.

VM1000 EGT Probes

Bastien & All the VMS users,

Most of the EGT probes you see when surfing the 'net for bargains are grounded probes, I understand that they are easier to manufacture and hence somewhat cheaper ... do not use them on your VM1000 or EPI-800 systems, our trusty VMS systems require "ungrounded" type K EGT probes. While we are on the subject, the same goes for the CHT probes, they must be "ungrounded" but the CHT is a type J thermocouple. Again, there's a lot of "bargain" CHT probes out on the 'net but the majority are grounded type K CHTs that will not give you accurate indications and can cause problems on the VMS displays.

I am concerned that a set of original VMS red-anodized/finned probes only lasted 200-300 hours as mentioned above ... there's a problem here, likely an installation problem or a wiring problem. The original probes supplied with the VMS systems were very high quality units and should last at least 500 hours with 700+ hours more the norm in my experience. I have an original set on my IO-360 and have only replaced 1 in 650 hours of flying behind this engine.

If I can help you with a new set of probes, or with any VM1000 or EPI-800 issues, please feel free to email direct at [email protected]

Happy Flying,
Reggie

Hi Reggie,

Thank you very much for your support, I gave him your e-mail address and he's going to contact you soon as he has some other questions about the VM1000.

Have a good day

Back