What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

P-Mag mounting in an O-320

BruceP

Well Known Member
Hi all,
I have my new Lycoming O-320-D1A from Van's and am trying to mount the 2 P-Mags I bought. It came with Slick magnetos which I took out (and will be for sale shortly). The P-Mags did not come with drive gears so I took one off the right Slick mag and put it on the P-Mag and temporarily mounted it in the hole, seems to fit okay. Sound good for that one?

The left Slick Mag has a very different drive gear and also has a spacer between the block and the mag. It obviously isn't going to work on the P-Mag. Is the gear I need the one on the E-Mag Air website called the "Cert L Gear"?

Also, the spacer needs to be removed and then the stud appears that it will be really long. Should I use these studs or replace them? Where can I get the shorter studs?

Last but not least, can the star washers be reused or should I get those replaced and what is the torque I should use on the nuts?

Thanks for your help.

The right one should be good if you used the gear from the slick.

The left one will require the removal of the spacer, new studs and a gear. Any engine shop should have the studs. Got mine from lycon. I got my gear from emag.

Do not reuse the star washers. Get a few new ones when you order the studs.

I can't remember the torque values. There is one for the stud and a different one for the nut.

Hi all,
I have my new Lycoming O-320-D1A from Van's and am trying to mount the 2 P-Mags I bought. It came with Slick magnetos which I took out (and will be for sale shortly). The P-Mags did not come with drive gears so I took one off the right Slick mag and put it on the P-Mag and temporarily mounted it in the hole, seems to fit okay. Sound good for that one?

The left Slick Mag has a very different drive gear and also has a spacer between the block and the mag. It obviously isn't going to work on the P-Mag. Is the gear I need the one on the E-Mag Air website called the "Cert L Gear"?

Also, the spacer needs to be removed and then the stud appears that it will be really long. Should I use these studs or replace them? Where can I get the shorter studs?

Last but not least, can the star washers be reused or should I get those replaced and what is the torque I should use on the nuts?

Thanks for your help.

you are in luck

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=81225

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=80882

Last edited:
A lot has been written about the E-Mag gears being of questionable quality and some have failed. Maybe they have improved but I wouldn't want to be a tester inside my acc. case. You go right ahead.
I used Lycoming parts......

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for the replies everyone. E-mag Air has been backordered for a year on new gears. I've emailed Lycon to see if they can sell me the parts.

Still can't seem to locate the torque values but asked Lycon as well...

Oh yeah, really looking forward to trying to get the longers studs out...not...

Back