What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rollbar support sstructure - help please!

Steve Sampson

Well Known Member
I am working on the structure that supports the roll bar. It is supported by a piece of 1"*12 angle about 1/3 of which, according to the plans sits completely hiden by the F-416 canopy rail and about 2/3 of which causes you to cut the canopy rail and flatten it out... you remember.

My first attempt resulted in about a 1/4" sticking out at the front as shown in the first picture at http://gikonfuse.blogspot.com/

In the second picture I have shimed the F-417 against the F406 bulkhead and now as you can see the front end of the angle is about flush with the canopy rail.

Should it work out to the plans or has everyone had this problem.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Steve
UK

I'm not mentally picturing this perfectly, but I do remember the rollbar pads just barely fit so the bolts fit centered. I'd be really careful here if I was going off planning on that. I know the stock rollbar configuration is ugly. It's ugly in the plans and on the plane... but it's the only ugly we got. Be thankful you've never owned a spam can!

-Bruce

Bruce - I am trying to stay with the plans but it is proving impossible. I just need to look at a bunch of -4, but I havnt got any to look at.

The issue is how much of the 1"*1"*12" angle that supports the role bar is behind the vertical inner face of the canopy rail. The plans show about 1/3rd but I am finding it hard to get any behind it as you will see from the pictures.

I am hoping some other current builders who are beyond this stage will chime in with their experience. Thanks for you interest.

Steve
G-IKON
UK

Rollbar support

Steve,
you are headed in the right direction...what I and most others have done is to slot the vertical flange of the fuselage side rail at the forward end of the rollbar support, and also at the aft end of the support,then using seaming pliers,bend the section back to "flat".I even used light hammer and bucking bar to flatten the flange better.I then trimmed it to match the support stiffener,which tapers inward ..Let me know if you need some pictures and I will take some to post.
Good luck,
Bill E.

Bill - yes its working out OK. Thanks for the advice. I have one side rail bent out flat. I had to slot it a lot futher forward than VANS indicate on the plans (but then it is a -4) but I have perhaps 1 or 2" hidden behind the vertical of the side rail. I will post a picture when I am a bit further along. The roll bar will sit very nicely on top.

Thanks again.

Back