What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Primer for inside of push tubes...

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Don't want to start a primer war...

I need to prime the inside of my three large pushtubes. I'm basically done priming my airframe, so I don't want to buy anything in great quantity or that is expensive or, preferably, that I would have to mix. (It took one gallon of Variprime to do most of my entire airframe, but it is relative expensive.)

Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap one-part primer that I could pour into the tubes to slosh around? Someone else recommended Marhyde, but I couldn't find it at a local autoparts store.

Thoughts?

one part self-etch primer

I used SEM brand self-etching primer in a quart can to slosh the insides of my pushrod tubes.

I suppose you could etch/alodine it this way instead.

Vern Little

How interesting, I just got through researching this topic and then saw this thread. :) For the inside of my aileron pushrods, I used SW GBP 988 as Dan mentioned, sprayed liberally down both ends and swirled around. For my elevator pushrod, I ordered a quart of SEM self etching primer (part #39684), which I've heard is basically equivalent to 988. (this after I called around and was unable to find a non-aerosol version of 988). I'll keep using 988 in cans to prime the rest of my parts, but I figured it would be easier and more economical to slosh liquid primer down the big pushrod rather than waste a spray can trying to coat it all along the whole length.

The cheapest I could find for a quart of SEM was about fifteen bucks at http://www.crashsupply.com.

cheers,
mcb

Thanks for the replies. I found a local supplier of SEM. I too use 988 (or the Napa equivalent 7220) for all of my little parts now, but spraying enough 988/7220 to cover the inside of the long push tubes didn't seem to be very cost effective. Thanks for the sugggestions.

Back