What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

how to test vor/loc/gs before buttoning up?

Alan Erickson

I've just got my panel fired up, and I'd like to test my nav systems - a 430 and an SL30 with CDIs - before I tie down the wires and put the top skin on. Anyone have any ideas? Any portable vor/loc/gs calibration transmitters to which mere mortals have access? Anyone built and tested one who would like to pass the circuit on (or loan the thing out for a fair price plus shipping and beer)? Thanks for any advice!

nope

Brian130 said:
Is there a VOT near you?
good idea, but there ain't nuthin' near me; I'm in central New Mexico. I've got a VOR a few miles north, but I just ran 50' of extension cable from my shop to an antenna on the roof and couldn't pick it up.

SL-30 Internal Tests

The SL-30 has internal tests and calibrations you can do to insure the radio is talking to the indicator. Among the various tests, you can calibrate the indicator's CDI and GSI and check to make sure the various flags are pulling or lighting. The procedures start on page 33 of the install manual.

N112B said:
The SL-30 has internal tests and calibrations you can do to insure the radio is talking to the indicator. Among the various tests, you can calibrate the indicator's CDI and GSI and check to make sure the various flags are pulling or lighting. The procedures start on page 33 of the install manual.

The GNS 430 does the same thing - puts out specific needle positions in test mode. That will ring out the wiring to your indicators - all it doesn't test is your actual reciever/antenna combinations.

Paul

N112B said:
The SL-30 has internal tests and calibrations...
I'll be goldurned; you are absolutely right - I musta had a brain ...errr, hiccup. I'm off to do the post-setup checkout! Thanks very much!

And thanks, Paul, I had been through the 430 checkout, which makes it doubly embarassing not to have looked for an SL30 equivalent.

Back