What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel gage gremlin

APACHE 56

Well Known Member
I have an odd situation with my EI dual fuel gage. Today I flew flight #3 in my Phase I fly-off and upon landing noted the fuel quantity as shown on the gage (total, left and right). I shut the aircraft down and later turned the master sw on to do some GRT adjustments. I noticed the fuel gage going through its checks and when it stopped it showed full tanks. I was pleased initially thinking that EI and discovered a method of turning Love Bugs into fuel but alas the gage was wrong. I refueled back to full tanks and made another flight (have the red cube also as a fuel quantity indicator albeit totalizer only). Once in the air the EI gage started working and as it turns out it was accurate. Once again upon landing, shutting down then repowering the system it showed full tanks left and right but should have shown full minus an hours? worth of flight. I don?t think the resistor (Vans type) senders are the issue since it is unlikely both tanks would act up in unison and then suddenly start working again.

Has anyone had this issue and better yet does anyone have a solution?

Thanks,
Don
PS: Yes I?ll check with EI in Bend, OR tomorrow.

The tanks will show full in the "tail-down" configuration until significant fuel has been burned. With the tail on the ground, the fuel runs to the back of the tanks where the gauge sender is.

If you want to see accurate readings on the ground, you must raise the tail to the "in-flight" attitude.

Back